pennsylania 3move tourney june 11-12 questions

Talk about upcoming tournaments or your experience at tournaments.

Re: pennsylania 3move tourney june 11-12 questions

Postby Jay H on Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:17 pm

In the Days Inn, Carlisle lobby....

Richard Beckwith, Tourney Ref...

Making a guest appearence...Mr. Edgar (Ed) Atkinson, a player from yesteryear who re-emerged at the tourney this year, but did not compete. I watched in awe as he showed some problems and games in the area outside the conference room where the tourney was held.

Mr. Lloyd Aucker, another tourney guest who watched and reviewed games.

Jason Solan, who organized the tourney this year in Carlisle.....

Neil Wenberg, enjoying another tournament....his wife came along, but eveytime I had my camera, she was not around..... :(

More to come.....
Jay "sharing a memory" H
Last edited by Jay H on Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Aut Inveniam Viam Aut Faciam !!!
Jay H

Postby steve on Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:23 pm

Wow? $20.53 interest-why ? Rates are low but .0025 % interest sounds like a russian mafia bank. Our local banks are paying 1.1% for a 3 year cd and 2% for 5 years.That works out to $90 and $164 a year not great but better then $20.53.On the internet you could earn even more but i can see you might want to keep the money in a local bank.Some one should take finance 101.
steve

Postby Jay H on Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:50 pm

Bobby Loewen, an Internet Crossover player who enjoyed this tournament "TO THE MAX" !!!!

Jay H and Jason Solan...it was a pleasure to meet this fellow Pennsylvanian Checkerist !!!!

Jay H and ACF President Alan Millhone, who was available to all for any ideas and/or input.

Alan Millhone vs. Richard Beckwith...

Terry McGrath vs. Johathon Trotta...two first time tourney players, who pushed each other to draw in this game...

One of the Tourney highlites....the Wray-Moore matchup. Personally, I believe these two have "unfinished business", and should be playing under "match" conditions for the PA. State Match Championship title......

Richard Beckwith at the closing ceremony...

Joe Moore, Jr. receiving the D-3 Championship trophy, and the new PA. State traveling trophy, which is his at least until next year's tournament. (Trophies donated by Jason Solan, tourney organizer)

Joe Moore , the new owner of Paul Ottey's complete set of Churchill's Compilations, donated to the tournament as a prize by Jay Hinnershitz...

Terry Mcgrath, Jonathon Trotta, Joe Moore, Sr. receiving ACF patches...

The group photo. (Missing is John Acker...he left the tournament early...I wanted to get a photo of John, but it just didn't happen. Every time I had my camera, I could not find him, or was taking a photo of someone else....)

My thoughts on the tournament next post.....
Jay "Had a great time :!: " H
Jay H

Postby Jay H on Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:54 pm

My first crossboard tournament was a most enjoyable experience. I met some people face to face that I have been communicating with for several years, and met some people for the first time.
Some observations and thoughts.....
Several were disappointed that Alex was not there, but his absence did not detract from the tourney (other than the competition of course....).
Alan Millhone was available to discuss matters with anyone at any time. A very approachable man who treated everyone with the utmost respect.
I got to meet fellow Pennsylvania Checkerists Laverne Wray, Jason Solan and Neil Wenberg which, was a real treat. And from out of nowhere came Joe Moore Jr, and Joe Moore Sr......Joe Jr won the tourney, which was a great surprize. He lost 1 game, which was the final game he played in the tourney, and which did not effect the final tournment standings......
Bob Loewen made me realize how much a privilege it is to have a state tournament to participate in, as there is none in his home state of New Jersey. I hope all of the cards fall into place and one can happen for him, somehow, someway.....gotta make it happen Bob !!
Bob's buddy Jonathon came along and learned what a game of Checkers is really about....
I met my ACF District (three) manager Ray Shelly, and his protege terry McGrath, who played in her first tournament...."My Grandpop taught me how to win.....but not like this !!!"
Lloyd Aucker, who I know from Green Dragon was there, but did not compete....perhaps next year Lloyd ??
A great surprize was seeing Edgar (Ed) Atkinson ....this man was incredible, knew all of the great players from the past, had a great knowledge of the game. Wish I could have spent more time watching and listening to him.
John Acker was the person I was asking most of the questions to, and he gave me the most answers, along with stories from other tournaments, regarding how they are run, rules, etc...also a bunch of "fun" stories.
Rich Beckwith was the man !! He ran the tournament very well....like it was no sweat. Also played....I couldn't imagine having to do that.
My own play...? Well, I beat the players I should have, and lost to who I should have....could have done better, and I will next time.
It was a great time......and a pleasure to be there. I picked up a few books, met some new friends, and played some Checkers.
Weekends don't get much better :!: :!:

Regards

Jay "Viva la Pennsylvania State/ACF District 3 Championship Checkers Tournament :!:" H
Last edited by Jay H on Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay H

Postby Danny_Alvarez on Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:57 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience Jay :) plus the photos I wish i was a few tens of thousands of miles closer , im sure everyone could do with an extra win at the tournament LOL

cheers
Danny from cold cold queensland
Amateur Checkerist, Professional Lover of the Game
Danny_Alvarez

Postby Chexhero on Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:23 pm

Alex, I spoke to Alan about where I should play in Nationals and he seemed very sure I should play up in the Masters. I am not sure how that is determined, in what division new players play, but that is what he said. I honestly was pretty set on Majors, but considering how I did in the Pa State perhaps I should move up? But hey, if I still have to earn my way I won't complain. Masters would be more of a challenge which I like, but I am sure Majors won't be a cake walk.
Chexhero

Postby Eric Strange on Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:19 pm

Considering you kick my butt and I am borderline major/master I think you should def play masters. You finished above rich beckwith which is an accomplishment deserving master play.
Eric Strange

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:29 pm

Dear Joe !

You did it pretty well in PA, but one great success is still incomplete and nonsufficient source. To play in Majors won't be wasting time for you and as you said - it won't be an easy walk. If you looking for my advice and are interesting my opinion - you have to play this year in GAYP Majors. It will be a logical step forward.

Please, send me your game to rusms + @ + juno.com. I want to see them. I also can play a short match with you, 10 openings, 20 games on Kurnik with timing something like 5/3. If you drew (or win !) at least 6 openings - this may (or maynot) force me to change my mind. Anyway, It wlll be good preparation and training for both of us.

Clayton Nash and Clint Olsen also played (and won) in Majors first. Checkers is sport and in sport everything is important, you can't skip some steps.

ACF has it's own goals, but you have to think about what is important for you and what works better and in most efficient way for you.

Jumping into Master Division is unnecessary risk which can be avoided.

Keep working on checkers: study and practice, practice and study. No rush, all life is ahead. Improvement will be transform into points ... and much sooner if you do your homework.

Regards,

Alex
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Chexhero on Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:06 am

"You have to think about what is important for you and what works better and in most efficient way for you."

Alex, considering I don't really know how good other players are in the masters, or the players in the majors, I dont really know where I should be. I don't know what would be more efficient. I agree with you in that I should not skip any steps, that is not what I am trying to do. Here is the deal, if I can compete with Master level players, I fell I should be there with them. I know I am not good enough to win Nationals in Masters, but if I am good enough to put up strong competiton and am challenging the players to a strong degree like I did Rich, I rather be in masters than play in the Majors, even though I may have a solid chance of winning it. Like from another point of view, I don't want to waste an opportunity to miss out on Masters if that is really where I belong. Alan, Eric, and even Rich-all very strong checker players think I should do masters.

I am not a very strong fast game player and don't think those games with you would be very telling of where I am. I am also much stronger in GAYP than 3 move. I am pretty positive I would not draw you 6 out of 10 times. If you really wish to play though, I accept your challenge. I am free weekdays and weekends. I can give you my games from the tourney but it may take a few days. What might even be better is a batch of 56 games I have saved up from the last 6 months with various strong computer programs. I have them all saved on checkerboard (even the games not played on it) and no changes have been made to the games at all. They were long intense games that lasted anywhere from 20 mins to an hour and a half. Most of the games were 3 move with some GAYP. Sage Draughts was the most common opponent, not world class material, but certainly master level play. Tell me what sounds good for you champ.
Chexhero

Postby rich beckwith on Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:07 am

At some point, the turned-in games for this PA tournament will be made into a "select games" document for contributors, etc. I wanted to mention this project may be delayed a bit given approaching US Nationals, Moiseyev-Borghetti match, Italian Qualifier, and numerous other things I have going on. I will share one game here. Jason Solan wrote, “I hope dr. Beckwith posts his 2nd game with Joe. The endgame was a knot of beauty.”

[Event "2011 PA 12-16 24-20 10-15"][Date "2011-06-11"][Black "Rich Beckwith"]
[White "Joe Moore, Jr."][Result "1/2-1/2"]

12-16 24-20 10-15 22-18 15x22 25x18 8-12 28-24 3-8 {6-10 proper} 21-17 {29-25 shown to win in 1998 I-D book, both Sheehan-Loy games} 6-10 17-13 1-6 24-19 9-14 18x9 5x14 27-24 {or 29-25 Bailey-Lowder draw, 1989 National from a Dundee} 14-18 23x14 16x23 26x19 10x17 31-26 11-16 20x11 7x23 26x19 17-22 {looks bad for white, but attack is a mirage and I overplayed it} 32-27 8-11 24-20 2-7 27-23 4-8? {22-26 19-16 draws} 23-18 7-10 30-25 22-26 25-22 26-31 22-17 31-27 18-14 27-24 14x7 24x15 7-2 6-10 2-6 12-16 29-25 {after game, LaVerne Wray suggested 6-2; but either can win} 16-19 25-22 {6-2 15-18 25-21 WW} 19-23 {this and my next move are the only draw moves} 6-2 15-19 22-18 10-15 18-14 Draw
Richard Beckwith
ACF Treasurer / WCDF President
rich beckwith

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:26 am

Chexhero wrote:I don't really know how good other players are in the masters
I also don't know.

Chexhero wrote:Here is the deal, if I can compete with Master level players, I fell I should be there with them.
Deal.

Chexhero wrote:Alan, Eric, and even Rich-all very strong checker players think I should do masters.
Send me your games. Without looking at quality of your game I can't make a final judgement. My first judgement was based on common sense, however we always have exceptions :lol:

Chexhero wrote:I am also much stronger in GAYP than 3 move.
You have to improve both. GAYP is only small portion of 3 moves. If you do well in 3-moves, this automatically means that you are good GAYP player. In other hands, if your GAYP level is higher, you might be OK to play in Masters. Again, without looking at your games I can't say for sure anything.

Alan, Richard, Eric saw your play and I didnt

Chexhero wrote:I am pretty positive I would not draw you 6 out of 10 times.
I am sure in GAYP you will.

Chexhero wrote:If you really wish to play though, I accept your challenge.
OK, but no rush. We'll play, maybe not 20 games in one shot. It's not easy for me to play long 30-60 minutes games online. This is still not the same as real tournament game. Many things distract me when I play at home.

Chexhero wrote:I can give you my games from the tourney but it may take a few days. What might even be better is a batch of 56 games
Send me 56 games and PA games when you process them. You can even also put your comments and analyses - it will be very interesting.

My email: rusms ... @ ... juno.com

Chexhero wrote:Tell me what sounds good for you champ.
What sounds good for me - when new generation of young strong American players come to arena and World title fate will be secured and keep residing where it suppose to be - in UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Chexhero on Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:30 am

Thanks for the post Rich. I analyzed that game with Kingsrow and it looks like I missed the win 2 times. Once in the beginning not moving 29-25 on the 5th move. I never played the line before and really had no clue. And also not moving 6-2 on the 27th move. I honestly thought I saw every possibility after 25-22 and there was just one combination I missed and you played it perfectly. After 6-2 I saw 15-18 and thought, no way because the 2-7 fork would lead to a 2 for 2, and same for 2-6. I did not consider 25-21 because I was so hooked on the 25-22 move from before winning! I made some pretty fast moves toward the end and that was probably my rookie mistake. I also should have moved 29-25 on the 12th move but I of course did not want the 2 for 2 exchange, 17-22-29-18, 11-16-20-11, 8-22. It basically seems to still give you a strong single corner. However, I underestimated the value of my piece on 19, I move it up to 15, I force 4-8 as the best move for red, and even if you squeeze 7-11 later on, I have 30-26 squeeze and a clear path to double corner. I have a tendency to only look at the move that look good. I need to start considering a little more, the moves that may be questionable at first. Finally, 8-11 was weaker than 2-7 which may have won. After 8-11 my 16th move should have been 27-23! I obviously saw 22-26 but 23-18, 26-31, followed by 30-26!, 31-15, and we got a 2 for 2! Now instead of 26-31 it could have been 11-16, 30-23, 11-20, 18-14, 20-27, 19-15!. Piece on 27 is a back stop. Still looks tricky but it is a clear draw for white after that. Again, I just figured 27-23 on 16th move was just outright bad and didnot consider it. So in conclusion we both seemed to miss wins 2 times. It was defintely my favorite game of the tournament.

I will send you my games soon Alex, to your email. I will try to put some notes in them like I did here. It is kind of fun to reflect on past games, you learn a lot.
Chexhero

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:46 am

Chexhero wrote:I will send you my games soon Alex, to your email. I will try to put some notes in them like I did here. It is kind of fun to reflect on past games, you learn a lot.
About your comments to game with Rich ...

1) Diagrams must be there. Pick 3 (only 3!) diagrams at the most important critical moment - based on your personal opinion.

2) Don't comment each move - try to get to the point and find most important moments and moves happened in game.

3) Comments should have maximum words and minimum variations. Try to find strategical reason - WHY one move is better than other.

4) Think about: everyone who has program can figure out which move is best and which one was mistake. Why people should still read your comments ? Because of personal insides, social comments and strategy defnitions.

You can skip Major :lol: this is fine. But one step you can't skip - heavy and intensive analysing the games - yourself and other players. You have to analyse all time during your entire career. And always try to undestand - WHY, not HOW.

Alex
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Chexhero on Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:10 am

Sounds good. Yea, I usually let the program do it for me lol. But yea, if I put my own mind and reasoning into it it would be much more productive. I got it. Btw, I am not sure how to post diagrams here.
Chexhero

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:12 am

Chexhero wrote:Btw, I am not sure how to post diagrams here.
Try this

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=299
Alex_Moiseyev

PreviousNext

Return to Tournament Discussion