ATTENTION ALL 16-21 AGED YOUTH : $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Talk about upcoming tournaments or your experience at tournaments.

Re: ATTENTION ALL 16-21 AGED YOUTH : $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Postby tommyc on Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:31 pm

Ingo says "Maybe some will buy their own clocks"",

I admire your idea but in my experience draught players i know would hardly buy a board n pieces nvr mind a clock???

Well i must say musicians are just as miserable, i used to play with a guy who wouldnt buy a string for his guitar.
Always read "Cannings Compilation 2nd Edition" every day.
tommyc

Reply to JR :

Postby JR Smith on Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:48 pm

I agree, I need to think larger than NC, but this was a starting point for me. I don't have the experience to tackle a national account, but it would be wonderful to see ACF land a big corporate sponsor. I will help in any capacity I can.

We have to stop limiting ourselves by saying it can't happen... no one will sponsor checkers... It's not that big or popular... we don't have the numbers to support the interest or attract an advertising interest.... look what you did for The Youth Nationals!
A Checker Friend, JR Smith
JR Smith

Avoid the naysayers and doomsdayers...............

Postby Alan Millhone on Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:54 pm

Hello JR:

The ACF and Checkers for too many decades has always thought too small and never looked 'outside of the box' for corporate sponsors. JR , stay 'loose' may call on you for advice,etc. soon. I am just one man but have a larger vision for our game. Someday I would love to see the ACF President as an elected and paid position. The ACF President would travel, meet players, give talks, solicit corporate sponsors, promote youth ,etc.

Those of you laughing at what I just said need to do your own thing, what ever that is and let me move the ACF and Checkers in a forward direction. One problem we as players have is in not supporting our champions better. We hold a world title match and few contribute even a dollar for the prize fund. The fund is part of the puzzle, but by contributing we are showing support for our champions. I intend to work hard for our youth first. Without attracting youth into our game there will be over time no organized Checkers nor the ACF. The 'status quo' that has existed for decades has failed miserably ! Time to get busy and take a better approach.

JR, your offer of assistance is much appreciated. I have a few other 'behind the scenes' people who advise and assist me in many things.

Sincerely:
Alan Millhone, President
American Checker Federation
===============================================
Checkers------- " THE MENTAL SPORT ALTERNATIVE TO VIDEO GAMES "
===============================================
Alan Millhone
Site Admin

Avoid the naysayers and doomsdayers...............

Postby JR Smith on Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:40 pm

I love your attitude and spirit...

Checkers------- " THE MENTAL SPORT ALTERNATIVE TO VIDEO GAMES "

So proud to have you as our President and willing to help you!
A Checker Friend, JR Smith
JR Smith

Re: ATTENTION ALL 21 AND UNDER YOUTH : $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Postby Nathan Gogo on Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:35 pm

Alex_Moiseyev wrote:
Nathan Gogo wrote:I should get playing again

Dear Nathan, what is the difference between nothing, $5,000 or $50,000 ? Can you please explain this difference to big gentlemens and ladies ? They don't understand this and don't accept my arguments, but may be they will listen you more :lol:

If you have a choice - love checkers, promote the game and earn nothing, or hate checkers but spend some time to master it and earn $50,000 - what would be your decision ?

Sincerely,

Alex

Well, for me money money really wont pull me from or to checkers. But the top prize is quite impressive, and atleast would give someone a motive to play. When I said that it was more of a meir joke.

For a decision i would defininantly promote it over money, but doesnt hurt to have both :)
Nathan Gogo

Postby Ryan Pronk on Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:10 pm

Josh Armstrong wrote:Now lets be honest, Las Vegas is fine, but it is getting old.

I really do not understand why people continue to forget the record number of participates Las Vegas had when they last hosted the GAYP U.S. National. I seriously expect a similar amount of players like we had in 2001.

If we really want to get the game promoted, then the Las Vegas venue, along with the prize fund is the best start. This was a brilliant move on the ACF's part.

Even those that live in the far east, say New York or Boston, then plane tickets can be very affordable - especially if you make reservations well in advance.

I'm a poor college student, and this money incentive is very nice to see. But the fact is, I would have been there anyway. Sadly, I cannot say the same for the rest of the youths that will be in attendance.

--Ryan
Ryan Pronk

Postby Nathan Gogo on Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:53 pm

Josh Armstrong wrote:
Who knows, maybe if its held in Chicago, there will be a new record number.

:)

Now thats a good idea ;)
Nathan Gogo

Postby john reade on Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:12 am

Why not New York?
john reade

Postby Patrick Parker on Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:32 am

new york ...as far as new york city goes....
alot of people wouldnt go
too much hassle ........id bet on low attendance
if all thing otherwise were equal

about vegas ......its a fine location but there are some parents who arent going to take their kids there......but that could be the same in another city
however there is another factor
some people dont want to fly....too much trouble
full body search at the airport....take off your shoes.....lose your luggage
i know vegas has had big tournaments in the past....and its been since 2004 since it was last there so....its not like we are there every year
however .....as far as people who are only going to drive .....
tenn is ideal..........location wise
however for flying .....vegas seems best ....tickets are cheaper usually
whats the most people that ever went to vegas?
what was last years tenn ?

btw i am not from tenn....it is a long drive for me....however ....people are there
Patrick Parker

Postby john reade on Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:46 am

Are there any checkers players in New York?
john reade

Postby Patrick Parker on Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:14 am

francesco
ed bruch?
others i am sure....
i am guessing less than 10 active?
Patrick Parker

Postby rich beckwith on Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:31 pm

Francesco La Rocca put on a fine 2005 NYC GAYP & 3-move tournament (both won by Alex) that had respectable attendance, a tournament book, decent prize money, and a lot of new faces. Even then, I don't recall many youth (maybe none) showing up (although no "youth tournament" was advertised either, but we did have 3 divisions, women, etc.).

As Alan alluded to in a separate posting, all these other locations (NY, Chicago, Tennessee) could be worthy contenders, but someone still needs to get the ball rolling by looking into accommodations to make a bid within the required timeframe and not after the fact. I personally scouted out Chicago a few years ago, but all I found were hotels on the outskirts wanting $100 a night, which I don't think many people would like. I find it commonly takes someone with inside connections to get the best deals, such as what Gerry does with Las Vegas, or Joe LoConti with Cleveland/Medina.
Richard Beckwith
ACF Treasurer / WCDF President
rich beckwith

Previous

Return to Tournament Discussion