ATTENTION ALL 16-21 AGED YOUTH : $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Talk about upcoming tournaments or your experience at tournaments.

Re: ATTENTION ALL 16-21 AGED YOUTH : $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Postby tommyc on Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:46 pm

I'll be 48 soon, which is triple of 16. Can I attend this event in 3 entries ? Saya Alex.............mmm lemme get my calculator!!

Lets see......................21yrs+16yrs+12 years =48 so i guess its close. Depends on the month you were born if you qualify Alex???? Hehehehehe.

So if you r birthday is before September Mr Alex M. then im sorry your over the limit.........!!!!!but do try again later//// "Another one bites the dust""
Always read "Cannings Compilation 2nd Edition" every day.
tommyc

Postby tommyc on Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:47 pm

OOPS...............49??? NO CHANCE.
tommyc

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:39 pm

tommyc wrote:So if you r birthday is before September

Not only before September, but also well before March.

Alex
Alex_Moiseyev

Reply to Josh

Postby Alan Millhone on Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:32 pm

Hello Josh:

All 16-21 aged players will have to provide proof positive photo ID (Driver's license, Passport,etc.) . I honestly do not know how old he is ? Will his entering or not entering decide if you will come and compete or not ? You need to have my temperment ................ I may get beat, but I fear no player on Earth when I sit across from them. I respect every player, but fear no player in board combat. I agree with Mr. Alex that knowing lines of play is critical , but self confidence is also very important. Hope to see you in July in Vegas for the youth tournament :-)

Sincerely:
Alan Millhone, President
American Checker Federation
===============================================
Checkers-- " THE MENTAL SPORT ALTERNATIVE TO VIDEO GAMES "
Alan Millhone
Site Admin

Postby Ingo_Zachos on Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:00 am

Dear Alan,

just to clarify:

Was it for the US national youth title in Las Vegas, as I understood, or for the World youth title in Las Vegas ?

Greetinx from Dortmund, Germany,

Ingo Zachos
You can rent this space for advertising, if you like!
Ingo_Zachos

Reply to Ingo

Postby Alan Millhone on Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:06 am

Hello Ingo:

To clarify................ The $5,000.00 is for the " Arthur Niederhoffer Youth Tournament" (top prize for the 16-21 age group) that is the week-end before our ACF National Tournament.

The WQ to date has never offered any cash prizes.

Sincerely:
Alan Millhone, President
==============================================
Checkers-------- " THE MENTAL SPORT ALTERNATIVE TO VIDEO GAMES "
Alan Millhone
Site Admin

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:32 am

Yesterday I played on Kurnik. Most talks only about $5,000. Alot of "nosing" around. Very nice. Alan - you are my hero and I take out my hat against you. :hello1:

Sincerely,

Alex
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby tommyc on Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:43 pm

Im sure time clocks Josh...............like in chess!! I do wish the checker organisers would pay more attention to the use of clocks,then you wouldnt be asking this question. Clock in guys!!. Get the CLOCK not the SHOCK.
tommyc

Reply to Josh & Tommy

Postby Alan Millhone on Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:29 pm

Hello:

Couple of years ago after an National one of the players asked me to come to his room for a few and visit and chat. Upon my leaving he stuck a folded piece of paper in my pocket and wished me well. In my room I found that piece of paper was a check for $500.00. The next day I ordered 10 German made manual wind clocks. We still use them at our Nationals and the Ohio Tournament which requires ACF Membership to play :-) and clock usage. I assume Josh might be asking if we will use digital clocks ? We can if someone sends me the money to purchase them for the ACF. Also while on the subject it would be nice for ALL tournaments to require ACF Memberhsip, recording of games, clock use,etc. Oh well............... I was getting up on my 'soapbox' a little.
Josh, all adult youth will be using the same clocks, thus everything in that department will be the same.

Sincerely:
Alan Millhone, President
Checkers------- " THE MENTAL SPORT ALTERNATIVE TO VIDEO GAMES "
Alan Millhone
Site Admin

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:35 pm

Tommy, there are many types of tournament clocks: mechanical and electronic, wooden and plastic, "Fisher clocks" with increments etc, different sizes and materials, colors etc.

Personally - I prefer mechanical clocks where player can phisically observe the flag and arrow. This allows me easy to control things rather than in electronic devices.

However, using increments (5-10 secs) on electronical devices is a great thing, but I never played with this type of clocks. Plastic or wood don't bother me much, but the size of clocks should be medium - not very big and not very small. I even saw once a "miniarure" tournament clocks - nice and pretty, but very hard to use !

Sincerely,

Alex
Alex_Moiseyev

Dignity, Interest, Attention:

Postby JR Smith on Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:04 pm

Yes I'm interested, and I've already been looking for money and sponsorship for Checkers, but mostly in NC
A Checker Friend, JR Smith
JR Smith

Reply to JR :

Postby Alan Millhone on Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:45 pm

Hello Jr:

Glad you are interested. But lets think bigger than N.C. :-) The ACF needs a sponsor on a national level. Then we can divide funds to each State Association equally . I would love to see (back on my 'soapbox') every state have an organized association that is chartered under the ACF 'umbrella' . Tournament rules would be the same everywhere,etc. This would add professionalism and respect to our game. Each State organization could also work on attracting youth into our game. We need a gameplan on approaching a corporate sponsor and that begins with a business plan that we want to implement. Also Mr. Gerry Lopez once wrote an article on 'each one bring one' as a new member into our ACF. Have any of you reading this posting asked anyone to be a member of late ?

Sincerely:
Alan Millhone, President
Checkers----- " THE MENTAL SPORT ALTERNATIVE TO VIDEO GAMES "
Alan Millhone
Site Admin

Postby tommyc on Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:59 pm

I just hope its not one of those clocks R Beckwith and myself found ourselves in possession of in Prague. It would have taken an engineer to set it and it still would have taken half the night to get through.We even had Ingo in attendance ,but to no avail.Hence the wee small hours when we got finished plus all the hassle.

I reckon the old manual wind me up clock is best for checkers we been using them for yrs Alex and they never let you down,when the flag falls your out. Simple!!. Get the CLOCK not the SHOCK/
tommyc

Postby Ingo_Zachos on Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:07 pm

tommyc wrote:I just hope its not one of those clocks R Beckwith and myself found ourselves in possession of in Prague. It would have taken an engineer to set it and it still would have taken half the night to get through.We even had Ingo in attendance ,but to no avail..../

Still a nice memory after more then a year ;-)
The problem was that the instructions (sticked on a label at the buttom of the clock) were in Czech, and nobody spoke it...
I tried to set the right time limit like in most electronic clocks, but it was hard to figure out when the first time control (45 minutes for 30 moves) had to be programmed and when the second intervall (15 minutes for the rest) had to be programmed, and when you had to enter hours, minutes and seconds.
It took me three attempts and 45 Minutes...
I still admire Dr. Beckwith and your patience.
I should have brought my own mechanical clock to Prague, as this is definately easier to handle... :P

In Prague you could also see that the use of clocks made it easy to set up a regular schedule for each day.
(Provided someone knows how to set up the right time limit)
All games r over after the maximum time for a game, and one has to learn to allocate his time for reflection to the critical moments.

I think that especially the "Internet Boys" (and Girls) will easily learn how to cope with the clocks, and maybe some will buy their own, as you can use them for study purposes and fun...

I sometimes set up the clock to 30 Minutes and take 30 tactical problems and a sheet of paper and a pen.
I try to find and write down the solutions within 30 Minutes, or at least as much as I can and stop after the flag had fallen. Your percentage will rise slowly, but steady if you do this regularly.

Also you can play real-life blitz games ( I remember Lukas Valenta and Bashim Duryev playing all kinds of draughts styles in 10 or 5 minute games) or training games if there is an adequate opponent.
If not, you can give a handicap, i.e you get only 15 Minutes for a game, but your opponent 60 Minutes or so...

Very popular among chess players is a so-called "Treppchenblitz" ("ladder blitz"): both start with 5 minutes each, but any win reduces your time by one minute, so if you win the first, you get 4 minutes for the next game, but your opponent 5 minutes, if you win the second, you get 3 minutes, he gets five. If he wins the third game, you still have 3, but he has 4 now and so on, until someone wins a game with only one minute. He wins the match.

Gamblers even put a stake on each game, which can be doubled with a backgammon dice, and if the opponent refuses to double, he has to resign. Of course you take terms in doubling the stake.

Greetinx from Dortmund, Germany

Ingo Zachos
You can rent this space for advertising, if you like!
Ingo_Zachos

Postby tommyc on Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:22 pm

Well Josh,
Here in NWDF(NW Ireland) or Ireland in general we play by whats called Swiss time/ Thats 90 mins each for the two games (you play red 1st and white next).You have 90 mins on your side of the clock(there are actually two clocks in one casing) and your opponent have 90 mins on his side/ You make your move and hit your clock(this stops your side and starts his/hers.....Got it??

You may use up to 60 mins for the 1st game leaving you 30 for the 2nd or you may use like.. 40 for 1st 50 for 2nd/just depends on however difficult the position is /

What ever way it is when the FLAG falls on the clock after your 90 mins then tah clock is dead and you would be out of time if your have not finished or you have not agreed a result (which you can do at anytime)with your opponent,which is his choice either to accept or deny//

If this confuses you look at it this way...........say your clock is set @10.30 when you start then you must be finished by 12.00 or you would be out of time/ I hope this helps .Tommy/
tommyc

PreviousNext

Return to Tournament Discussion