GAYP Hotel Rooms : Plaza Hotel--- Las Vegas

Talk about upcoming tournaments or your experience at tournaments.

GAYP Hotel Rooms : Plaza Hotel--- Las Vegas

Postby Alan Millhone on Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:37 pm

Hello everyone:

I have received a few emails from players tellign that they have called the Plaza to reserve rooms for the Nationals and find the hotel does not know about our event?

I made a call to Mr. Gerry Lopez, Tournament organizer the other day. he says the hotel for our Nationals is confimed, but the front desk has not been brought up to speed yet on players calling to reserve a room. Gerry will call the manager he deals with next Monday to make sure everything for us is in place.

I will post on the forum soon as I hear from Gerry. Sorry for any confusion .

Sincerely:
Alan Millhone, President
American Checker Federation
==============================================
Checkers----- " THE MENTAL SPORT ALTERNATIVE TO VIDEO GAMES "
==============================================
Alan Millhone
Site Admin

Re: GAYP Hotel Rooms : Plaza Hotel--- Las Vegas

Postby Gene Lindsay on Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:22 am

Hi Alan,
Some of us would like to know how the tournament is to be played before we make our reservations.For example is it going to be winner take all or game points, 4 game rounds or 2, also if we are going to be forced to play a move a minute to get the round over, etc. or are you going to vote on how the ty will be conducted before the ty starts like last GAYP. In past regimes, we knew exactly how a ty was going to be conducted 2 years in advance, because all rule changes were voted on, and did not take effect until the next ty. I like to know what the rules are before I pay to go.

Gene Lindsay
Last edited by Gene Lindsay on Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gene Lindsay

Postby Patrick Parker on Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:35 am

i have learned that i hate game scoring .....
round scoring is better....though its hard to feel that when u end a tournament with very few points.....
also i agree with gene...
pros...cons
its good that when you are at a tournament...the people who are there are the ones voting on the format
the bad is that ...you might get stuck with something you really dont like....
the bad is ...if u play 40 games in a tournament under game scoring you might have to win 15-20 to win the tournament.....prolly not in the masters im sure....
the bad under round scoring is that you might get very few points
and perhaps will not be rewarded for your draws
the good about game scoring is that....people have to play to win every game.....this will probably mean taking risks and losing some games
the good about round scoring is that people can play conservative ....wait for opponents mistakes .....draws dont hurt as much as in other formats...
opinions of mine here ....
in 2004 nats when i was new to tournament play ....i was very disapointed in round scoring
in 2005....gayp nats....game scoring didnt seem any better
in 2006 nats i had to try and win every single game....which meant taking risks...

i know this wasnt original idea of this thread but i have talked to alan about this before and hopefully he wont mind my bringin it back up here

i vote round scoring.....if i am a favorite
i vote game scoring ....if i am underdog....
:-)
Patrick Parker

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:08 am

Patrick Parker wrote:i vote

I don't vote. We already had one in 2005 :roll:

Alex
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Patrick Parker on Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:17 am

yes......there was a vote...i didnt vote....then
Patrick Parker

Postby Bob Murr on Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:26 am

Wouldn't it be a good idea to include this information with the tournament announcement. It shouldn't be necessary to vote at the tournament on how to score it, this will only alienate players on the losing side. I agree with Gene that everyone should know how it will be conducted before they spend the money to go.
Bob Murr
Bob Murr

Postby rich beckwith on Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:53 pm

The initial GAYP National announcement was simply to provide bid results, dates, room rates, etc. As with most Nationals, the extra details (entry fees, format, prize fund, seeding procedures) typically get introduced over time.

I agree that we should announce the scoring format soon (no more last minute voting on major scoring issues). Even though a vote was done in 2005, not all options were presented, and the possibilities were later re-surveyed to include option of game scoring with 2-game rounds, which was the favorite of even the masters for GAYP (but not 3-move). So this will likely be the format. It was also evident that there is no one format that pleases everyone. Majors and Minors prefer this format too, even in 3-move play, although this will mean ~13 rounds to schedule.
Richard Beckwith
ACF Treasurer / WCDF President
rich beckwith

Where art thou Mr. Alex?

Postby Alan Millhone on Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:29 am

Hello Everyone:

I am suprised this morning to not see any responses to Dr. B's comments?

Yes, game scoring with 2 game rounds for GAYP has been discussed and I remember the voting by ballot in Dublin.

Personally (just me) I like 2 game rounds so I can meet and play more opponents. I suspect the majority of players also prefer this method. I know the majors and minors prefer scoring by game. There is always that danger of a player 'throwing' points to his opponent. There will probably never be a 'perfect' system for all of us . The main thing is to find a method that suits the majority of our ACF Members who attend our Nationals each year. I also agree that the method we use this year in Vegas needs to be in place BEFORE the Nationals begins.

I have to agree with Gene that I do not approve of 'move a minute' and prefer to see a position decided by a computer program. 'Move a minute' basically sees who can make the first mistake the fastest and in my opinion is not Checkers. This is solely my view and may not be shared by others. One thing most of you know about me is that you know where I stand on about any issue. I like being right down the middle of the road and no gray areas.

There are many of you out there who read every posting, now is the time to comment. Dr. Beckwith as your player's rep. and myself need to hear your views . The ACF needs your input to make each National a fun yet competitive event for everyone who attends. I also plan this year to run an ad on GOOGLE under 'checkers' towards tournament time for our youth and main National event. " LEAVE NO ONE BEHIND "..................

Sincerely:
Alan Millhone, President
American Checker Federation
===============================================
Checkers---- " THE MENTAL SPORT ALTERNATIVE TO VIDEO GAMES "
===============================================
Alan Millhone
Site Admin

Postby P.R. on Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:27 pm

Has there ever been a discussion to have a format where, there is a certain # of swiss rounds - then the top 4 players play in single elimination tournament. Or maybe top 8 players...? This style is used for the Reversi/Othello World Championships.
P.R.

Postby rich beckwith on Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:45 pm

That's interesting Patrick. Not sure how well single elimination would work for checkers though, as two players might play 10 draws, creating scheduling nightmares if people have flights to get out of town. The Swiss system, if I understand corrrectly, is supposed to be good at conveniently determining the best player (though not necesarily determining the bottom placements), in a fixed number of games.

I've also heard that double knockout (done in the old days) is an even better format to determine a champion, but would be a scheduling nightmare these days. (Some players would be eliminated early -- other matches might take forever to determine a winner). In thumbing through old ACF bulletins recently, I see a motion was made in the mid-1990s to bring back double knockout for the masters, but the motion lost 4-10 to Swiss.
Richard Beckwith
ACF Treasurer / WCDF President
rich beckwith

Postby Patrick Parker on Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:54 pm

wasnt double knock out also used for a buncha people?
Patrick Parker

Postby P.R. on Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:26 pm

In the Reversi/Othello World Championships, they only do best of 3 in the semi finals and finals - which is not enough games for checkers. Something like a 8-game match would be more reasonable. Then maybe another 8-game match for the National Finals. Something like this could be done on a new day...and I don't think this would be a problem for the Final Four players - if they're serious enough about checkers to be good enough to make it this far, I'm sure they wouldn't mind staying another day to try to win it all.

Though, a regular Swiss system wouldn't be the best way to determine the Final Four, because it's used to determine the winner. Last I heard, Reversi/Othello are trying to develop a Swiss system that would help determine the best Final Four.

I also like the double knock out format. There's also Triple Knock out formats to work with, too.
P.R.

Return to Tournament Discussion