Notes on the GAYP Nationals from Gerry Lopez

Talk about upcoming tournaments or your experience at tournaments.

Notes on the GAYP Nationals from Gerry Lopez

Postby Alan Millhone on Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:23 am

As promoter of the GAYP in Las Vegas I'd like to shed a little light on the price of the rooms at the Plaza Hotel. While our ACF President was out of town I was wondering how to handle the price of the playing room and Patrick Parker has come up with a good idea. We think his idea of adding $60 to the entry fee for all players would be the easiest way to obtain the playing room. Other hotels wanted much more but I was able to work out the arrangement for the special room price in order to get a very nice playing room. Conventions in Las Vegas pay $1,000 a day and more for their rooms. Free playing rooms of the size we need are no longer available.

We're not talking about an extra $12 a day. We're talking about the total price of the room plus a place to play. Let's not forget that !! Rich Beckwith hit the nail on the head when he mentioned that the total price of the room would be under $45 for a room and that includes the tax. Two players may share the hotel room to cut down on expenses. The Plaza is a very good hotel. Let's remember that we're talking about one of the most popular tourist attractions in the whole world. Where on earth can you get that price anywhere in the world for such an attraction ? Wish I knew.

Here's something you should know. We have blocked a limited number of hotel rooms for players. I recommend the players get in their reservations early. A one day deposit will hold your reservation. More details will be forthcoming in the various Checker publications and on our web site and we may run an awareness ad on GOOGLE for the very first time. The reservation # for the event is 1-800-634-6575. Please mention the Checkers Championship in order to get the special rate of $29 plus tax Sunday thru Thursday and $65 p.t on Friday for the room. Rooms in Vegas are all more expensive on week-ends. The rates on Friday usually go over $100 so we got a break there also. Again the dates for the event are from July 23 through July 27. Arrival on Sunday, the 22nd. and play from the 23rd. through the 27th).

It is important that we have a good turnout this year to show the Las Vegas hotels that checkers is good business! Let's try to make this our most successful tourney ever
--- Gerry Lopez
P.S.--- I phoned Alan Millhone last evening and he agrees with the above.

===============================================
Note: Gerry will be gone from this morning till this coming Saturday late.
===============================================
Alan Millhone
Site Admin

Return to Tournament Discussion