11- Man Ballot Nationals in 2008

Talk about upcoming tournaments or your experience at tournaments.

Postby Alan Millhone on Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:26 pm

Hello Everyone:

Yesterday Mr. Alex and I drove to N.C. and a memorial service for the late Mr. Elbert Lowder. Several Checker players were also on hand that attended. We discussed the possibility in 2008 of having the " Elbert Lowder Memorial National 11- Man Ballot Tournament " over this same week-end . During the Winter there are not any tournaments for players to come and play till March. If enough interest this event could become permanent. I know Mr. Lowder would be proud to see this happen for 11- man Ballot.

Discussion is welcome on your thoughts and ideas for " MORE CHECKERS ".

Sincerely:
Alan Milhone, President
American Checker Federation
===============================================
Checkers--- " THE MENTAL SPORT ALTERNATIVE TO VIDEO GAMES "
Last edited by Alan Millhone on Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan Millhone
Site Admin

Re: 11- Man Ballot Nationals in 2008

Postby Patrick Parker on Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:16 pm

like a weekend tournament?
i like this idea
also i like the idea of a tournament early in the year
and if it happened in the middle of jan it would be a good distance
away from Tn
Patrick Parker

Reply to Patrick

Postby Alan Millhone on Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:27 pm

Hi Patrick:

We were thinking of this week-end. Maybe a Friday to Monday as Monday is a legal holiday for many people. A January tournament would be nice to get us players out of the house. Also 2 game rounds if 11- Man Ballot.

Sincerely:
Alan Millhone, President
Checkers--- " THE MIND SPORT ALTERNATIVE TO VIDEO GAMES "
Alan Millhone
Site Admin

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:33 pm

Patrick Parker wrote:like a weekend tournament?

Yes, but 4 days. One of my idea was - no Divisions at all ! One big Swiss tournament where everyone can win a National Champ title. Make alot of sense and more attractive.

Having 4 days allow to run up to 12 rounds (3x4), one round - one opening, 2 games, in total - 6 games a day.

Alex
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Patrick Parker on Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:49 pm

what about the balloted openings....whatever you draw is what your stuck with? < :-)
Patrick Parker

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:18 pm

Patrick,

there is a special 11 man ballott deck - 8 cards. Each card has 4 sections and there are 4 drawings (one for each Section) : white man to remove and first move, and same - for red.

Newell Banks developed design of this deck. Clever, easy and simple.

When I played 11-man ballot match with Elbert in 2002, we used a referee Don Brattin deck.

The total number of openings: 8x8x7x7 = 3136, but some positions are repeated. The number of unique positions generated by 11 man ballott deck - 2500. There are rumors that approximately 300 of them are losses.

When I played match with Elbert, we had in cotract one condition: if both players agree to exclude opening - so be it ! One time we used that rule, when me and Elbert after few minutes observation agreed that opening might be a lost for one side.

We can use this rule in the upcioming 11-man ballott National 2008.

Alex
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby JR Smith on Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:35 pm

The moment I heard Alan and Alex bring up this 11- Man Ballot Nationals in 2008 in honor of Elbert Lowder I new it would be a wonderful addition to the Tournament Calendar. I would like to see it as an annual event because it would be a memorial to Elby and an honor to host the event at his birthplace in Albemarle, NC.

We will see how popular this event will be!

I spent some time last week on who will likely help support our venue bid of Albemarle.

Where can I buy a 11-Man Ballot Card Deck? Did I hear someone might do this through the ACF store?

I would like to get a copy of any pictures you and Alex took at the service. please email me.
A Checker Friend, JR Smith
JR Smith

Postby Ingo_Zachos on Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:41 pm

BTW:
Who does now hold the World Champion title at 11-man-ballot ?

Elbert Lowder died undefeated.
I guess it is vacant now.

Will this ty determine who holds the right to play in the next World Championship match in order to determine the new World Champion ?

Greetinx from Dortmund, Germany

Ingo Zachos
You can rent this space for advertising, if you like!
Ingo_Zachos

Postby jimloy on Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:26 pm

At the retirement or death of a World Champ, very often the title passed to the previous champ (none in this case), current challenger or previous challenger, depending on the situation. After studying the games of the Lowder - Moiseyev 11 man WCM, which was a draw, I would suggest that Alex is highly qualified.
jimloy

My own 11-Man National Thoughts

Postby Alan Millhone on Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:42 pm

Hello Everyone:

I like the idea of one group and then every opening drawn is played. Both you and your opponent have to play a side of the opening and you have a 50/50 chance of getting a favorable beginning color by chosing which hand you 'tap' before play of the round begins. I personally don't think any opening should be excluded from the draw. It would be nice to have an attractive prize fund as well and perhaps raise the entry fee for this event. I know JR and others in NC will work hard in locating sponsors. Also the 11-Man event does not fall under any WCDF guidelines and will be run by the ACF. Hope to see this event become a reality in 2008 and a fitting tribute to Mr. Lowder. I know that Evelyn McCauliff in Canada has 11-Man decks for sale for $4.00 each plus postage. You can reach her at: dgoodw9616@rogers.com . I have my own 2 decks that Mr. Banks gave me at my home many years ago.

Sincerely:
Alan Millhone, President
" MORE CHECKERS"

Checkers ---- " THE MENTAL SPORT ALTERNATIVE TO VIDEO GAMES "

Alan Millhone
Site Admin

Postby neilwenberg on Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:24 am

11 man ballot in NC looks like an excellent idea. I would like to try playing ing in this kind of topurnament. Try is the optimum word for me as my play is usually very poor!
Neil H. Wenberg
neilwenberg

Return to Tournament Discussion