Would a Three-day U.S. National Ever Work?

Talk about upcoming tournaments or your experience at tournaments.

Would a Three-day U.S. National Ever Work?

Postby rich beckwith on Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:01 am

Traditionally the U.S. National is held over 5 weekdays (sometimes 6 days for Masters) with a preceding youth tournament. The GAYP National bid from Illinois threw out the idea of a 3-day National to be held over a weekend thinking it would draw more players. While they were outbid anyway, it is an interesting topic to discuss whether there is any merit to this idea? My analysis:

PROS: A shorter tournament would assist those who have difficulty taking time away from work and would also reduce costs to attend (fewer hotel nights and meals). Some players find 5 days of play too rigorous for various reasons (age, etc.).

CONS: The week-long tournament has been around for many years. Reducing the number of days and rounds would diminish its significance and make the event feel more like a state tournament. Fewer games may make it harder to accurately allow "the cream to rise to the top." It is not evident the turnout would be significantly greater. The 2005 GAYP National in Dublin, OH (which is not even geographically centered to most players) drew 50 players, about the same number drawn by the prestigious Illinois and Tennessee state tournaments that are already held over a weekend. A shorter event may be a tougher sell to the local tourism bureau & economy (if they are the ones being asked to supply bid money), who would rather see visitors stay for a week rather than just three days. Also, it
Richard Beckwith
ACF Treasurer / WCDF President
rich beckwith

Re: Would a Three-day U.S. National Ever Work?

Postby Patrick Parker on Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:32 am

the week long tournament is inconvenient....but i wouldnt want it to be shorter...theres my cents
i read in old checker books where tournaments were longer than a week even

Tn in my opinion is one of the best states to have a tournament
no matter how many days or what kind
simple because of its location....i only mention that since u said somethin about that state
say lebanon to me is 580 miles say my car gets 20mpg
so almost 30 gallons times 2.15< being nice = 60-70 dollars
lets round up to 150 dollars round trip .....then say 150 for hotel
300 for 3 days at tn? add food also

ive driven to every tournament except vegas...obvious reasons on that

so i fly to vegas for nationals ....ticket 300?
300 + ill just say 30 a night for hotel 5 days 150 bucks
450 for 5 days ...plus food

i know all my numbers arent correct exactly like .....driving to airport etc
but maybe u get a better deal going for more days ......as far as cost per day?
more checkers for less money?

also a HOPE is that nationals would provide more competition and hopefully have more people ....but tn and il have been big
also i like that alot of the masters show up for nationals but maybe not as many for tn or il

i think in Tn a 3 day national would work but i am unsure if it would work anywhere......

also would some of the players who been at it a while want it to change?
shorter times per round? how would u adjust it .....they want hours now and they will have to play under new hour game kind of rules?
Patrick Parker

Postby bazkitcase5 on Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:39 pm

i can promise that in the masters division atleast, this would never work

and i agree with the CON that, it would lower the prestige of our national tournament
bazkitcase5

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:45 pm

National is much more than just a regular checkers tournament, competition etc. This is a whole life and very memorable. I remember all my Nationals, each game, partner, each story. They will always be with me !

Concerning competition. On long run - 8-9 rounds / 1 week, there is a plenty time for recovery :lol: if something happened. This an important component of fighting.

Rich, if we need more tournaments and attract more people - we can create a "regional" tournaments" which will have a "status of Majors" and winners will be qualify to play in Masters the same year, even w/o having enough rating.

We can also try to promote to the higher degree "Southern States", "Northern States" and "Western States" toournaments which status recently dropped. :roll:
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby tommyc on Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:04 pm

Why shorten these great days..........keep it @5/ There is more to it than checkers and why is it yall wanna work every hour god sends......relax have fun...thats life!!
Always read "Cannings Compilation 2nd Edition" every day.
tommyc

Postby tommyc on Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:05 pm

Did someone say the WCDF ratings are published?
Always read "Cannings Compilation 2nd Edition" every day.
tommyc

3 day U S Open

Postby m stewart on Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:26 pm

In chess every year they have a US Open, where players of all
strengths can play each other.
This wouldnt replace nationals but if run right with good sponsorship
would bring new members to ACF.
Like time limits with clocks.
Just something to think about.
m stewart

Postby rich beckwith on Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:11 pm

Thanks for all the good comments. I agree that I do tend to remember the National tournaments the best. We'll still have the other weekend tournaments too for those who prefer that.

Tommy, the 2nd WCDF ratings report has gone around for review. I believe Ingo just needs to give the final nod. Jason will also add it to this site whenever he does updates. The new WCDF ratings are merely an update to include tournaments in the 2nd half of 2006, plus a couple title updates.
Richard Beckwith
ACF Treasurer / WCDF President
rich beckwith

Return to Tournament Discussion