Lees' Guide on eBay

Place to put books, transcripts, etc. for sale

Lees' Guide on eBay

Postby jaguar72 on Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:38 am

There is what looks to be a very nice copy of Lees' Guide on eBay with a starting bid of only $4.99 and $3.00 shipping. Search "checkers books" on eBay to see it. It's a book every checker player should have just for the history. The small dimensions make it easy to carry about.

Yeah, I know, it's (I think) available free online and you can probably download it to your Kindle or iPad (there is probably a Lees' Guide app...) or Nook or any other landfill future resident but if you do that you miss the fun of reading the notes (with a magnifying glass) and using a .05mm pencil to make caustic and clever notes of your own near your favorite variations. Doesn't get any better than that. It really is a terrific book.

Besides, the chicks at the coffee shop really dig guys who can whip out a Lees' Guide and point out a forced win in, for example, variation 2 of the Ayrshire Lassie by citing note j. Very impressive, let me tell you...better than being a rock star or heartthrob movie actor.

Works for me.

And there you have it.

V/R,

Gary Jenkins/jaguar72
il faut (d'abord) durer...
jaguar72

Re: Lees' Guide on eBay

Postby Jason Solan on Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:43 pm

Indeed any PDN app would be pretty cool.

Anyone willing to pay for such an app? :wink:
I've got too many other things I'd like to work on, but would love to play with some of the mobile dev-kits out there to start writing apps.

I think I can do something like what John is talking about with my online board, but someone would need to flag which games are "published play". Currently I have over 10,000 games from Nationals and World Title matches that Jim Loy sent me.

I think Lee's guide is floating around in PDN format as are a few other books that Eric has on his site.
Jason Solan
Site Admin

Postby jaguar72 on Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:23 pm

John and Jason,

You mean that Apple really doesn't currently have a Lees' Guide app??? Ah well, Steve Jobs is gonna hear about this.

Life is full o' disappointments; this is just one more... .

Speaking of which, I thought I had seen Lees' Guide in a .pdf format somewhere on the web; perhaps I was mistaken (nothing unusual in that...).

I think the last edition was published in 1944 (I think I read that on Bob Newell's site), although it's long been out of print. In that case, is it still copyright protected? Anybody know?

V/R,

Gary Jenkins/jaguar72
Last edited by jaguar72 on Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jaguar72

Postby jaguar72 on Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:16 pm

JohnAcker wrote:There are a few PDFs on Google Books, though I'm not sure which editions they are. Here's one: http://books.google.com/books?id=SxsCAAAAYAAJ. I suspect, but am not sure, that if a copyrighted text is revised then the older edition remains under copyright, so I suspect that LG is in the public domain. Jim Loy has the games here: http://www.jimloy.com/lees/lees.htm.

Thanks, John. I knew Jim Loy had posted the games but for some reason I could not find the Google Books version which was the one I was thinking of...probably didn't try hard enough, I reckon. When I mentioned a download in my original post, the Google Books .pdf version was the one I had in mind.

I would suspect as well that the book is in the public domain.

I wonder if the girls at the coffee shop will be as impressed with the electronic version? Doubtful.

V/R,

Gary Jenkins/jaguar72
jaguar72

Return to Checkers Books and Equipment