New Book by Richard Pask

Place to put books, transcripts, etc. for sale

New Book by Richard Pask

Postby chipschap on Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:11 pm

A new book by Richard Pask will be available at the checkermaven.com website on Saturday, September 11 (at 2 AM MST). Full details will be in the Checker Maven column for this week. The book is "21st Century Checkers: 9-13s." The book is in PDF format and is of course offered as a free download.

My thanks to Mr. Pask for the opportunity and privilege of making this book available through my webzine.
chipschap

Re: New Book by Richard Pask

Postby chipschap on Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:13 pm

An additional, parenthetical note: the new book makes extensive use of color and if you wish to print it out you may not find black and white or greyscale satisfactory. If you can print color at home you may be better off doing so, even if it takes a while; I priced printing at the local FedEx Kinko outlet and the price was about $80 for printing a single color copy!
chipschap

Postby jaguar72 on Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:01 am

This is a little off topic I guess, but...I just received my copy of Basic Checkers from CreateSpace.

Very nice; you guys did just a terrific job and having this book readily available again should benefit everybody involved in the game.

Plus, it's a real bargain at the price and CreateSpace gets in to you in two or three days. Doesn't get any better than that.

V/R,

Gary Jenkins/jaguar72
il faut (d'abord) durer...
jaguar72

Postby liam stephens on Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:26 pm

Congratulations to Richard Pask.

Great new book, and all for free!
Amazing.

Regards - Liam.
liam stephens

Postby william on Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:45 pm

hello everyone,

I was up in Glasgow ( Scotland ) last week visiting my mother who was hospitalised with lung cancer.

While up there I met up with my old friends tommy Watson and the ever young " amazing" Brian Kilgour senior!

Brian had informed me last week of this new Pask book , and i have been awaiting it's "publication " since then.

richard is definately the only person who can pretend to be the "Fortman successor" . Even though he does not really create any new play , he is the only person at the moment who has the skill and technique of being able to logically synthesise , regroup , and classify openings in the way that Fortman did.

He along with Tommy Watson , Shane Mc Cosker , myself , Myles hannigen , Lindus , garret Owens , and the other Irish boys will certainly put the USA international team to ashes , if the match takes place!

Thanks again Richard , from the worlds checker playing community

William
william

Postby Ingo_Zachos on Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:08 am

Thank you very much for this fine book Richard Pask.

While many argue that a low prized book or one given away for free has no value, I think this one is priceless.

And my respect for a person that shares the fruits of his labour with everyone without dealing or profit-making is immense.

Altough, I desperately hope that one day (not so far away) Richard Pask will make his come back on the stage of crossboard checkers, and that he challenges the very best once again, so that more of his own games must be included in any groundbreaking book about our game.

Like this one.

Greetinx from Germany,

Ingo Zachos
You can rent this space for advertising, if you like!
Ingo_Zachos

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:04 pm

william wrote:He along with Tommy Watson , Shane Mc Cosker , myself , Myles hannigen , Lindus , garret Owens , and the other Irish boys will certainly put the USA international team to ashes , if the match takes place!
Optimist !!! Even in your earlier 40's you still have some great illusions :lol:

And by the way - I don't see best Irish (and perhaps UK) player - Hugh Devlin on your list. Maybe he is in category "all other Irish boys" ? :lol:
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby william on Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:09 pm

Alex :lol:

Obviously , Hugh devlin is in this list along with John McElhone , which only comforts me more in an overwhelming UK and Irish Victory.

Shane and myself had discussed last week in Glasgow the team , and Hugh and john along with the others were selected...

I apologise to hugh and john for this error , HOWEVER , I nor Shane are the one's who select the team , BUT this foundation is certainly the strongest since 1905 IF eveyone takes part.

And America , and you will bow to the grandmasters!!! :wink:

Sorry Alex :bounce: :bounce: you really should come back down to earth :shock: :lol:

Greetings , my good friend

William
william

Postby william on Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:57 pm

Well John

That would be fun , but vodkas , guinness and whiskey must be provided , to avoid any heartattacks!!
william

Postby chipschap on Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:47 pm

Ingo_Zachos wrote:While many argue that a low prized book or one given away for free has no value, I think this one is priceless.

Ingo Zachos

It is often true in the commercial world that something with a higher price will have greater perceived value --- one trip down the street from where I live, to the high-priced clothing stores at the Ewa end of Waikiki ... would you believe beach sandals for $350 ... will tell you that.

But in fact many good things are free. I do 95% of my work with free software, for instance. All of Basic Checkers 2010 was done with free software. So sometimes, as you have said, the cost is zero but the value is very high, such as with Mr. Pask's latest work. Mr. Pask does this out of love of the game. It is very inspiring.
chipschap

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:38 pm

chipschap wrote:Mr. Pask does this out of love of the game.
Thats for sure, indeed. Lines selections, good presentation and clear & clever logical explanation. Any book is super and new word in checkers literature. We must be very proud to have an author like Mr. Pask !

Richard, many thanks for your service !

Alex
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:57 pm

william wrote:Sorry Alex :bounce: :bounce: you really should come back down to earth
I solidly and firmly stand with both of my foots on the land :lol: If we are living in perfect world (do we ?) which allow us to count Richard Hallett, Joe Schwartz (guess won 10 games in last IM ?), Ed Bruch (96 today ? huh!), Jim Morrison, Richard Beckwith, Michael Holmes, Larry Keen, John Webster, your friend and just few experienced masters like Anthony Bishop, Alan Millhone, Chuck Freeman, Charles Walker (will be back to arena soon) we shall not have much troubles again.

But I ceratinly agree that modern UK team more likely can beat UK team versus 1905 ! :lol:

BTW. Part of Gene Lindsay estate was donated strictly to support International matches. Next time we shall play match in UK and to the best of my knowledges Richard Beckwith already contacted with Ian Caws regarding details and potential bid and venue.

Richard can confirm or correct me here.

Hope we shall have more interesting and good news in the nearest future.

Sincerely,

your friend Alex
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Patrick Parker on Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:59 am

what about you
or laverty
are whiteknight and clayton gone?
Patrick Parker

Postby Palomino on Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:48 am

John wrote:
I know Clayton is active in professional disc golf these days.

Interesting, here are some stats I found.

PDGA Player Statistics, Clayton Nash: (As of 31-Aug.-2010 and going back to March 2006)
http://www.pdga.com/player-stats?PDGANum=29694

Ranking of Mississippi Players, Pro-Men, Clayton Nash, No.1:

Mississippi - Pro Men - Player Rankings
1 thru 6 (of 6 current rated members)
    Player Name PDGA# State Country Rating Rounds Division
    Clayton Nash 29694 MS USA 990 48 M Pro
    Shane Seal 13928 MS USA 989 17 M Pro
    Dean Pfeifer 16938 MS USA 977 19 M Pro
    Tyler Godwin 38866 MS USA 953 6 M Pro
    Jack Johnson II 38431 MS USA 936 15 M Pro
    Michael David 4295 MS USA 846 4 M Pro

Ranking of World Wide Players, Pro-Men, Clayton Nash > 327 out of 3,165 players.
http://www.pdga.com/player-ratings-sear ... der=rating
CHECKERS: The Mind Sport of Kings and Ordinary Men.
Palomino

Postby tommyc on Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:20 am

It would take at least the "Rest of Europe" team to match the Americans and more that likely a Rest of the World" team to beat em..............i dont see GB/IRE matching them even with 1/2 of the USA tt=eam on the point of retiring!!!

Re Nash............his world checker rating was much higher by comparison but mb his pocket is heavier in pro golf, Moiseyev should try his hand at that, get rich fast and buy swaiths of Russia.?? Heheh Then he could play for the REST OF EURO team...................and with an 8 pt turnover beat the USA team?

(Talk of biting the hand that feeds you)...............old proverb
Always read "Cannings Compilation 2nd Edition" every day.
tommyc

Return to Checkers Books and Equipment