Pask's "Starting out in Checkers" on eBay

Place to put books, transcripts, etc. for sale

Pask's "Starting out in Checkers" on eBay

Postby jaguar72 on Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:40 pm

For all who may be interested, there are two copies of Richard Pask's Starting Out In Checkers currently offered on eBay, one (ex-library but in good condition) at Buy-it-Now for $9.09 and the other in as new condition for Buy-it-Now or Make Offer at $11.00. Both with four bucks shipping. Search "checkers books" to find them.

I doubt if you will ever see the book any cheaper, if at all. Would make a fine present for almost any player (or even a nonplayer) but especially a young beginner. It's a great book and hard to find (or at least it has been...maybe it's been republished and I missed it).

Anyhow, there you have it.

V/R,

Gary Jenkins/jaguar72
il faut (d'abord) durer...
jaguar72

Re: Pask's "Starting out in Checkers" on eBay

Postby Richard Pask on Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:44 pm

If readers are interested, I am aware of one shop which still has 2 new copies available for sale at £9.99 (each!) + postage. Contact David Bell at Lorfords, 2 Central Walk, Bury St Edmunds. IP33 1BS. England.

tel: 01284 768204
email: enquries@lorfords.co.uk

Hope this is of some value.
Richard Pask

Re: Pask's "Starting out in Checkers" on eBay

Postby jaguar72 on Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:50 pm

Richard Pask wrote:If readers are interested, I am aware of one shop which still has 2 new copies available for sale at £9.99 (each!) + postage. Contact David Bell at Lorfords, 2 Central Walk, Bury St Edmunds. IP33 1BS. England.

tel: 01284 768204
email: enquries@lorfords.co.uk

Hope this is of some value.

Thank you, Mr. Pask. Much appreciated.

In addition, there are now two used copies ("good condition" it says...) on eBay in the $16.00 range (one with free shipping) and a new one for $50.00 with $4.00 shipping (which makes the ones Richard mentioned a real bargain even with shipping from the UK).

The book would make a swell Christmas present for any checkers enthusiast (or even a non-enthusiast; it's a very entertaining read...). Best introduction to the game ever penned although Chernev's The Compleat Draughts Player is very good, too, but Starting Out in Checkers has more instructional value (in my opinion, you understand, for what that's worth...); plus, the Chernev book is quite difficult to find nowadays.

There you have it.

An edit later in the day:

Except I should have added that Jim Loy's introductory book Checkers Lessons (available from the ACF store for only twelve bucks) is quite excellent as well and would also make a sterling Christmas present or a spiffy donation to a school checkers program (as would any of the books mentioned in this post...).

There you have it, again.
V/R,

Gary Jenkins/jaguar72
il faut (d'abord) durer...
jaguar72

Return to Checkers Books and Equipment