Newell Williams Banks

Upload and share images and games amongst fellow checker players.

Newell Williams Banks

Postby Lindus Edwards on Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:34 pm

Thought it would be nice to share this. Some photographs of Newell Banks I have never seen before.

http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/extra/banks.html
Lindus Edwards

Re: Newell Williams Banks

Postby George Hay on Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:23 pm

Lindus, thank you for the link to the Edward Winter article on Newell Williams Banks, someone who put checkers on the map in my home state of Michigan. Winter, a chess writer, actually "gets it" concerning checkers! The comparison Banks makes to chess vs checkers makes for interesting reading, although no one has the last word on that comparison! Interestingly, in the internet chatter of today it is Chess that suffers from the number of possible moves compared to the game of Go! What a fallacy! But IMHO, if you combine the best aspects of Chess and Go, you end up with Anglo-American Checkers. The Banks vs Marshall chess game where Banks wins in the end game shows that what Banks said about chess players should study checkers to improve their end game is so very true! Banks, ironically, must have forgot about the great Philidor when he stated that musicians don't make good chess players! Over all this is a rich article with good pictures, and even the chess diagrams are well placed!

--George Hay
George Hay

Postby Lindus Edwards on Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:24 am

Pat McCarthy said to me when asked about the comparison of Chess and Checkers. “They are both entirely different games and not really played on the same board.” Pat was a Checkers grandmaster and a strong expert at Chess.
Lindus Edwards

Postby Lindus Edwards on Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:28 pm

Hi George,

You will no doubt be familiar with this page. Thought it would be nice to share it with others too.

http://www.checkerschest.com/checkers/banks2.htm

Regards,

Lindus.
Lindus Edwards

Return to Checker Sharing