Photos from Beijing

Upload and share images and games amongst fellow checker players.

Re: Photos from Beijing

Postby S_McCosker on Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:27 pm

Hi Guys,

Just reading through this discussion I was wondering why people still
play our game when they deem it to be inferior to other variants?

It seems strange to me why any game should be deemed superior based solely
on the number of possibilities.

Just some thoughts on equipment:

The boards we played on were of fine quality wood but as Liam says wooden they are
and wooden they remain. I don’t see much of a problem with the boards only I would
give preference to the green & buff. It’s interesting to note that at one point in time
Checkers wasn’t standardised as to what colour of square the game was played on so some would prefer to play on the white square and others the dark.

The pieces also being wooden presented a problem of them making a scraping sound as they were moved and when games were finished and of course required some analysis.

There was an analysis area available but it had a familiar pattern of no use to checkers
10x10.

I have heard that the pieces were described as having some cracks in them, well
That’s sort of an understatement when you can see directly through the piece to the square.

It’s a big eye opener to watch the other variants have equipment such as pieces with felt to distort noise and even electronic boards that are linked to computers that can display their game in real-time. Also some games even brought their own news teams to promote their game which produced several booklets of each day of play.

I only have one thought on the location of were the checkers event was played:

Some players were at a disadvantage if they were sitting on boards 4-12 (rough guess may have extended farther) as they were located next to windows which at times let in a lot of light or noise etc...

regards,

Shane
S_McCosker

Re: Photos from Beijing

Postby tommyc on Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:58 pm

HMMMMMM...............kinda hard to see the for the trees...lol
Always read "Cannings Compilation 2nd Edition" every day.
tommyc

Previous

Return to Checker Sharing