Football - EURO 2012

Discussion about sports besides checkers.

Football - EURO 2012

Postby Ingo_Zachos on Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:38 am

As some subjects on this board already deviated to the big football event,so I decided to open up a thread for it.

So far we saw group A and B playing two rounds. Russia was impressive againt the Czechs, but the Polish took them back to the ground.
The Czechs made a recovery, and the Greek looked even bad when they scored a point.

In group B Germany was lucky against Portugal, but only the Netherlands look like a sure loser.
Germany plays better then in their test matches, but still quite weak. I hope they can improve.

In group C Croatia beat Ireland, but have to face Spain and Italy now. Italy showed that Spain is vulnerable.

In group D we saw the weakest match so far as England vs. France was on a lower level then Spain - Italy or Germany - Portugal.
In these matches, both teams looked good, but in England - France both looked weak,

The Ukraine defeated Sweden by an edge like Germany defeated Portgal, but both terams lookes much better then either England or France.

Summary: Germany is effective, but not impressive, Russia was impressive, but only once. Spain and Italy, Portgal and Denmark, Sweden and the Ukraine looked good, as did Croatia. Poland was mixed, and Greece, the Netherlands, Ireland, England and France looked bad so far. The Czechs made a recovery, but against very weak Greeks.

Looks like one of the three pre-favorites (Spain, Germany, Netherlands) is almost out, and no clear favorite so far.
You can rent this space for advertising, if you like!
Ingo_Zachos

Re: Football - EURO 2012

Postby MostFamousDane on Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:10 pm

All other groups except B are not relevant. What is most relevant is that if Denmark beats Germany 3-2 or 4-3 or 5-4 etc both teams are guaranteed to go through has someone informed the Germans of this fact :D
Sune
MostFamousDane

Postby Ingo_Zachos on Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:28 pm

lol,

I think they knew pretty well at the press conference, but what if the Netherlands nominate their B-team and they beat Potugal, as Christiano Ronaldo once again proves that he will never be like the real Ronaldo, but more a Mario Gomez without scoring goals.

Did someone tell Bert van Marwijk that he can replace bad players with better players?

Greetinx,

Ingo
Ingo_Zachos

Postby MostFamousDane on Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:36 pm

Ingo_Zachos wrote:lol,

I think they knew pretty well at the press conference, but what if the Netherlands nominate their B-team and they beat Potugal, as Christiano Ronaldo once again proves that he will never be like the real Ronaldo, but more a Mario Gomez without scoring goals.

Ingo

:evil:
Sune
MostFamousDane

Postby Danny_Alvarez on Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:58 pm

Ingo_Zachos wrote:lol,

Ingo i agree with you , but there is a more concise way of saying "like a Mario Gomez without scoring goals" .... the abbreviation is "like Fernando Torres" .... then again.... he just scored for Spain after years of waiting for him to do something. So maybe the simile should be (Sorry Sune, but this is true) "worse than Fernando Torres"...

*goes away chanting MESSI MESSI MESSI in the general direction of Denmark, so Mr Thrane can perhaps hear the chants* :mrgreen:
Amateur Checkerist, Professional Lover of the Game
Danny_Alvarez

Postby MostFamousDane on Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:27 am

As usual Messi fans live in a fantasy world, claiming that Ronaldo doesn't score any goals is just absurd. Not only has he scored an incredible amount of goals this year (and all the preceding years) he scores goals that shows he has more talent in his pinky than the midget has in all of his body - like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVdJbSGOYX0
Sune
MostFamousDane

Postby Danny_Alvarez on Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:58 am

AHEM.... let it be noted that for all the chest beating and posturing the "Cristiano Ronaldo" fans do.... one indelible fact is MESSI has scored more goals in the last 12 months. And Messi's goals are 10 times better.... any goal you show from Ronaldo i can show you a better one by Messi
http://youtu.be/A7PlBKfInAM

:P
Danny_Alvarez

Postby MostFamousDane on Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:06 am

Sune
MostFamousDane

Postby Danny_Alvarez on Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:26 am

http://youtu.be/Tv5VotXzOQA

Look at the top 5 .... especially number 1 .... the day Ronaldo can pass (with the ball on foot) 5 or 6 defenders + the goal keeper , and score .... then we can start mentioning him next to Messi. All Ronaldo can do is "step overs" and look at himself in the mirror. Let's not even start with other qualities.... Messi scores a goal and he thanks God by pointing to the skies , Ronaldo scores a goal and points to his fat leg really proud. Messi has more goal assists than anybody else in the league outside his team. Ronaldo never passes the ball.
Danny_Alvarez

Postby Ingo_Zachos on Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:57 am

MostFamousDane wrote:As usual Messi fans live in a fantasy world, claiming that Ronaldo doesn't score any goals is just absurd. Not only has he scored an incredible amount of goals this year (and all the preceding years) he scores goals that shows he has more talent in his pinky than the midget has in all of his body - like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVdJbSGOYX0

Sune, Ronaldo ended his career in 2011, and he is Brazilian btw.
Christiano Ronaldo is not Ronaldo, just like Abedi Pele is not Pele. :evil:

Greetinx from rainy Dortmund,

Ingo

PS: Ireland eliminated. Spain scoring four goals. I thought they would be contend with one goal in each game :D
Ingo_Zachos

Postby Danny_Alvarez on Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:20 pm

I saw the Spain vs Ireland game and i have no doubt Spain will do very well in this tournament.

What impressed me the most was the Irish spirit, I am a passionate person and i appreciate others' passion as well.
this rendition of "Fields of Athenry" was heart warming, especially since the score was 4-0.
Cheers to all Irish people, you should be proud .
http://youtu.be/lOLgXjplfh4

Ingo_Zachos wrote: Ireland eliminated. Spain scoring four goals. I thought they would be contend with one goal in each game :D

Ingo in 2010 although Germany defeated my beloved Australia & Argentina by 4 goals each... :(
All that was required to eliminate Germany from the World Cup was 1 single itty bitty Spanish goal...:D
1 goal is better than none
Cheers
Danny Alvarez
Danny_Alvarez

Postby Ingo_Zachos on Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:57 am

Sune,

I have to admit that Christiano Ronaldo finally showed a good game on international level, just when his team needed it. You are right that he is a good player.
Sorry that Denmark did not make it, but they would have made it in any other group.
I think next time the home teams should not be seeded in the groups, but the four highest ranked teams on the team ranking, Denmark and maybe also the Netherlands did not make it because of UEFA`s incompetence to secure equal group strenghs.

The Danish showed how to crack Germany: they are poor in standards. German freekicks and corners are toothless and the defense against Danish standards was mediocre.
It already cost the German teams the titles in 2008 and 2010, and I think they still won´t make it if they don`t hire a special coach for it.

Russia, a media favorite after the first game out , and the Czechs and Greek through by hard fight is another story. Both Portugal and Germany now heavy favorites to reach the Semis in their matches. Can Croatia now oust Spain? Or will Trap deny the Italians a spot in the Quarterfinals? Spain and Italy favorites, but Croatia is not easy.

In group D France is now the favorite, but will the Ukraine go down like Poland? Or make it like Greece? And does Sweden want to repeat the Dutch streak of three defeats by one goal?
Ingo_Zachos

Postby MostFamousDane on Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:53 am

Ingo_Zachos wrote:Sune,

I have to admit that Christiano Ronaldo finally showed a good game on international level, just when his team needed it. You are right that he is a good player.

Yes but it really sucks that he chose this match to prove it (once again) :(.

Ingo_Zachos wrote:Sorry that Denmark did not make it, but they would have made it in any other group.
I think next time the home teams should not be seeded in the groups, but the four highest ranked teams on the team ranking, Denmark and maybe also the Netherlands did not make it because of UEFA`s incompetence to secure equal group strenghs.

Well at least Holland didn't make it through that at least warms my bitter heart a little. I can't help hoping that Portugal will meet Germany and send them out of the tournament given that Germany could have secured Portugals exit by letting us win :).

Ingo_Zachos wrote:The Danish showed how to crack Germany: they are poor in standards. German freekicks and corners are toothless and the defense against Danish standards was mediocre.
It already cost the German teams the titles in 2008 and 2010, and I think they still won´t make it if they don`t hire a special coach for it.

Well I think the win was well deserved Germany did have most of the play but not that many (big) chances to score. Also did you notice the shirt pulling on Bendtner in the second half if it was Barcelona playing they would have gotten a penalty and the other team would have had two players sent off the pitch.

Ingo_Zachos wrote:Russia, a media favorite after the first game out , and the Czechs and Greek through by hard fight is another story. Both Portugal and Germany now heavy favorites to reach the Semis in their matches. Can Croatia now oust Spain? Or will Trap deny the Italians a spot in the Quarterfinals? Spain and Italy favorites, but Croatia is not easy.

As Spanish exit would be fantastic :D.

Ingo_Zachos wrote:In group D France is now the favorite, but will the Ukraine go down like Poland? Or make it like Greece? And does Sweden want to repeat the Dutch streak of three defeats by one goal?
Sune
MostFamousDane

Postby Ingo_Zachos on Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:03 am

MostFamousDane wrote:
Well I think the win was well deserved Germany did have most of the play but not that many (big) chances to score. Also did you notice the shirt pulling on Bendtner in the second half if it was Barcelona playing they would have gotten a penalty and the other team would have had two players sent off the pitch.

True, the referee here could have decided for a penalty, but even if we assume that Denmark would have scored with that penatly, that gives them only a 2-2 draw, still not enough as they had to win to get to the Quarterfinals. Germany scored two regular goals, which means Denmark would have had to make 3. Actually the loss against Portugal was the decisive game. The Netherlands were not good enough for each of the three teams, so it was likely that they would lose to Portugal, so Denmark had to play to win.
There were much worse referee decsions in other games. England got the phantom goal of 2010 back, but even with a 1-1 the Ukraine would not have made it.

More telling were the two decisions against Croatia. Not to give a clear penalty to Croatia and to count a very clear offside goal by Spain has decided the game and the group. But Italy would have been trough even in this case.

France was ppl. the worst of the teams that reached the QF, and I dont see them make it against Spain.
Germany is favorite against Greece, but Greece, like Denmark can keep the score close.
Portugal is favorite against the Czech Republic, the game of the comeback teams.
Italy looks a clear favorite against England, but England showed fighting spirt against the Ukraine.

Looks like the Semis could be Portugal - Spain and Germany - Italy

Worst performance: Ireland, no doubt. Netherlands lost all three as well, but kept it close each time and they played in the hardest group.
Biggest surprise: Greece
Best group stage: Germany, showing weak moments, but no weak game like all the other teams did.
Best games: Portugal-Denmark was classy, close and beats the beating Russia gave to the Czechs or Spain gave to Ireland, as in that game one team was clearly inferior.
Best player: No player was outstanding in all three games.
Worst referee decision:Spanish offside goal against Croatia, as the Ukraininan phantom goal was harder to see without video analysis, but
everyone couild see the offisde, except the referee, the linesman and the goal judge. All of them need glasses very badly,

Who will win the title?
There are four clear favorites in the QF games, and Germany and Spain would be favorite on paper against Portugal and Italy, but Portugal and Italy showed great improvement, while at least Spain looks worse then in 2008 and 2010.y
My heart is with Germany, but my brain tells me that Spain in best shape is almost perfect, and Portugal and Italy look dangerous even to a perfect team. And one wrong referee decision or one standard or one bad moment of a defender or goalie can decide the day between them. And we have already seen too many wrong referee deicions.

Greetinx from a very raíny Dortmund morning,

Ingo
Ingo_Zachos

Postby MostFamousDane on Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:41 am

Ingo_Zachos wrote:
MostFamousDane wrote:

True, the referee here could have decided for a penalty, but even if we assume that Denmark would have scored with that penatly, that gives them only a 2-2 draw, still not enough as they had to win to get to the Quarterfinals. Germany scored two regular goals, which means Denmark would have had to make 3.

Yes but we will never know how the rest of the match would have gone - Denmark sortof gave up at the end because they needed two goals.

Ingo_Zachos wrote:
Actually the loss against Portugal was the decisive game.

Agreed

Ingo_Zachos wrote: The Netherlands were not good enough for each of the three teams, so it was likely that they would lose to Portugal, so Denmark had to play to win.
There were much worse referee decsions in other games. England got the phantom goal of 2010 back, but even with a 1-1 the Ukraine would not have made it.

More telling were the two decisions against Croatia. Not to give a clear penalty to Croatia and to count a very clear offside goal by Spain has decided the game and the group. But Italy would have been trough even in this case.

That may very well be I dislike they way they play football so much that eventhough I always have their games on just in case their opponent scores I can't bear to actually watch their games because of their cynical joy sucking football style. I did actually watch a bit of the match against Italy and it did seem less boring than normal.

Ingo_Zachos wrote:France was ppl. the worst of the teams that reached the QF, and I dont see them make it against Spain.
Germany is favorite against Greece, but Greece, like Denmark can keep the score close.
Portugal is favorite against the Czech Republic, the game of the comeback teams.
Italy looks a clear favorite against England, but England showed fighting spirt against the Ukraine.

Looks like the Semis could be Portugal - Spain and Germany - Italy

Worst performance: Ireland, no doubt. Netherlands lost all three as well, but kept it close each time and they played in the hardest group.
Biggest surprise: Greece
Best group stage: Germany, showing weak moments, but no weak game like all the other teams did.
Best games: Portugal-Denmark was classy, close and beats the beating Russia gave to the Czechs or Spain gave to Ireland, as in that game one team was clearly inferior.
Best player: No player was outstanding in all three games.

Agreed except for best player: http://www.capelloindex.com/en/ - Michael Krohn-Dehli played fantastic in all three games - he is playing for my local team which badly needs the money they should get for selling him.

Ingo_Zachos wrote:Worst referee decision:Spanish offside goal against Croatia, as the Ukraininan phantom goal was harder to see without video analysis, but
everyone couild see the offisde, except the referee, the linesman and the goal judge. All of them need glasses very badly,

Who will win the title?
There are four clear favorites in the QF games, and Germany and Spain would be favorite on paper against Portugal and Italy, but Portugal and Italy showed great improvement, while at least Spain looks worse then in 2008 and 2010.y
My heart is with Germany, but my brain tells me that Spain in best shape is almost perfect, and Portugal and Italy look dangerous even to a perfect team. And one wrong referee decision or one standard or one bad moment of a defender or goalie can decide the day between them. And we have already seen too many wrong referee deicions.

Greetinx from a very raíny Dortmund morning,

Ingo

If spain wins again this will be that last championship I will watch
Sune
MostFamousDane

Next

Return to Other Sports