College Checkers

General Discussion about the game of Checkers.

College Checkers

Postby maxwelldr on Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:56 pm

Is there checkers played in college and if not when will there be college team checker tournaments set up. This would promote sport a whole lot and be fun.
maxwelldr

Re: College Checkers

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:25 pm

Excellent idea, man ! I applaud you and propose Alan Millhone and Richard Beckwith do not miss it :idea: :idea: :idea:
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Mr. Checkers on Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:20 pm

:lol:
Last edited by Mr. Checkers on Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Checkers

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:57 pm

Ms. Becky wrote:Checkers on college campuses

Nope !!! Here what needs to be done ... :idea:

Next year, 2006, we should have a new State Cup event. I think it will be an excellent thing to do - if colleges send their teams here. This is realistic. If some checkers players are in college now - they can take buddies and attend an event.

This is my proposal. What do you think Matthew / Alan / Richard ?
Alex_Moiseyev

college checkers

Postby kiwinurse on Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:33 pm

Why not contribute prizemoney and trophies for colleges,in my experience in new zealand grants can be got for school and college activities . How many college students can afford to travel to attend a checker tournament,Your best bet is staging one right on the campus.Getting the interest first before any state tournie.
kiwinurse

Postby Mr. Checkers on Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:42 pm

Last edited by Mr. Checkers on Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Checkers

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:56 pm

I am talking about "short term" action, which doesn't require much efforts from ACF & students and is realistic. Whoever lives close to tourney location and ready to travel and play for fun - can do this.

Anything else: promoting game on camnpuses and among students - long terms projections, same as clubs in local areas and lessons in school.

I was talking about something we can do right now. Indeed - this idea is based on students, who is ALREADY ACF member and play checkers. They can build teams.

When they return back to college - they will have a story to tell others, and ... who knows

Contributions and grants are fine, but who will be contributor and grantor ? And who will be working on this ?

I proposed something which can be done, and can be done today. Something is better than nothing.
Alex_Moiseyev

grant person

Postby kiwinurse on Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:20 pm

Is there noone in the Acf team that actually looks for grants for projects.I understood someone was delegated to that, and that is a vital part really.If there is someone designated and they applied for school or college funding to hold tournies,they would find that most government agencies would give approval and money for these projects.
kiwinurse

Postby Mr. Checkers on Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:28 pm

Last edited by Mr. Checkers on Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Checkers

funding

Postby kiwinurse on Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:34 pm

There must be someone sitting at home ms becky, who has the time to apply for government grants,which only involves filling in paper work and sending it off.There are a lot of retired people who are members of acf who could do this, it takes no great effort, and the rewards are good for checkers.
kiwinurse

Postby Mr. Checkers on Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:59 pm

Last edited by Mr. Checkers on Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Checkers

funding

Postby kiwinurse on Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:09 pm

Then Ms Becky there is always crackerjack and Jack Daniels, where theres a will theres a way,and im sure theres a retired man in usa that could apply to these places for checker funding,
kiwinurse

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:36 pm

I want to bring this interesting and important subject back to attention. I think an idea to have college teams in our State Cup 2006, has alot of potentials. Of course, regular, day-to-day activities, online tourneys, clubs - are important. But in my opinion - one thing don't cross aother, and they can successfuly work together.

We have many ACF members in colleges today, and if each of them take buddies, and attend event - it will be very nice thing to do, very attractive, and very promotional ... in my opinion.

For those who are in colleges today - what do you think, folks ?

Yours,

Alex
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby CheckersStrongplayer on Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:38 pm

Why can' high schools do that??? It sucks only the colliages get the best stuff.
Checkers is like being in heavens.
CheckersStrongplayer

State Cup

Postby rich beckwith on Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:06 am

Sure I would love to see college (or high school) teams participate in a State Cup or other event. In fact, I have a college venue in mind as a possible location for the inaugural State Cup. However, I do not want to disclose more details at present, in case competing "State Cup" bids come in to me.
Richard Beckwith
ACF Treasurer / WCDF President
rich beckwith

Next

Return to General Discussion