Back from Africa

General Discussion about the game of Checkers.

Back from Africa

Postby Favian on Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:40 pm

Hi all,

I am back from Africa safe and sound. Whew! I'm sure you all would be excited to know that they do play checkers in Kinshasa, Congo and Nairobi, Kenya. The guy that I almost got a chance to play in Nairobi, Kenya plays on an 8x8 board. He was enthralled to hear about all the different kinds of checkers out there in the world. In Kinshasa, Congo, I played 4 different people. The first guy that I played told me that he was the best and that he was gonna kick my butt and that I was not going to win. We played the first game and a little after halfway through the game I realized he was playing either spanish or russian checkers where the kings fly and men jump backwards. Oops. We kind of quickly finished that game after realizing that our opponent was not playing the same game. Hehe. I told him that the rest of the games, we would play it his way since I have had lots of experience playing all other variations and I did not want to go into the trouble of trying to explain to him my variation when I did not speak his language! :P The next game, we played his way and i made a sacrifice not too long into the game thinking that I would get the man back a couple moves later. Big mistake, i didn't look far enough ahead and it was all downhill after that. At the end of the game, it was down to his 4 kings to my 1 king. He had a terrible time trying to finish it off. I still think it was a draw but later I made a mistake and did not see his move to win. So I lost that one, then we played again. He made a mistake early on and it went downhill fast for him. He resigned about 3/4 of the way into the game. His whole attitude change from cocky to one with respect. We quickly became friends after that. It's amazing how when you have something in common that you can quickly become friends even though you live worlds apart. Then at the place where we were staying, I played one of the guys who maintained the house. We played about 6 games and I won all of them. I was playing the same variation and me and the first guy played the last 2 games. He was not that good at all. I had fun playing though. :) About 2 weeks later, I went shopping for gifts back home and stuff for me to bring home. I went to the market and a couple stands down the row, I saw a checkers board and I asked if he played. He said yes so off we went. This time, it was on a 10x10 board. I have had enough experience to be comfortable playing 10x10 thankfully. I made a really stupid mistake letting him have a 1 for 3 shot and a king like 5 moves into the game. LOL. I resigned and we played another game. I won the 2nd game no problem. He had a hard time looking ahead more than 3-5 moves. Then we tried bartering for the pieces on a 8x8 board but I gave up because his prices were still too high. I saw another checkers board a couple stands further down the row and asked the seller if he played. He said no but the guy next to him did so he came over and we played. He was a little bit better than the guy before but I won no problem and his friends who were with him watching complimented me on my good moves and scolded him for some bad moves that he made. LOL. It was very interesting watching that unfold. They like their checkers and evaluating the games. :) I hope you all enjoy my stories about checkers in Kinshasa, Congo.

Favian Elmore
Favian

Re: Back from Africa

Postby Patrick Parker on Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:16 pm

cool man
Patrick Parker

Postby Palomino on Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:32 pm

Thanks for sharing that with us Favian, I enjoyed reading it. Sounds like you had a great time and made some new checker friends.

Regards, "Pal" Bucker
Palomino

Postby AKA on Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:42 pm

Ron King said there were many great players in Africa, but they don't have the money to travel to Europe or USA for tournaments.
AKA

Postby Ryan Pronk on Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:34 am

Robert Kunene, who is a current resident of Minnesota, is originally from South Africa. He said there are many strong players residing there, but don't have the means to travel. Robert finished in 2nd place in his first ACF tournament (Minnesota State) which is very impressive.

--Ryan
Ryan Pronk

Postby Armlock on Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:12 pm

Hey Ryan,

Perhaps I should play against Robert Kunene sometimes since I live in MN.

A math teacher from my former high school who came from Africa used to play International checkers against me.

By the way, I just analyzed that game we played on kurnik and the triple jump would have won for white. White was in a loss later on but I thought I had it and tried to attack the peice and loss.
Armlock

Postby Ryan Pronk on Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:16 pm

Very good! If you are lucky, you will find Kunene and Robert S. Vanatta playing checkers at the Mall of America. Occasionally, Igor Rybakov would also join the games.

You can find the checkers tables near Legoland on the first floor.

--Ryan
Ryan Pronk

Return to General Discussion