The Ohio Year Book--2006

General Discussion about the game of Checkers.

The Ohio Year Book--2006

Postby Mr. Checkers on Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:06 pm

You don't want to miss out on getting your copy of this fine checker publication--order yours today if not sooner. It is great with a lot of very interesting checker material to be absorbed and it is very well done (as are all of Richards checker ventures)!! A lot of time and hard work was put forth to bring this checker publication to you. This is a must addition to everyones checker library and for only $20 you can"t go wrong with that. Thank you Richard for sending this to us--it is a most welcomed addition to our fine collection of checker literature. Ms. Becky
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Re: The Ohio Year Book--2006

Postby Ryan Pronk on Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:53 pm

I received the Yearbook yesterday and I am very impressed with the high quality and professional layout of the book. This book truly does have something for everyone. Not only does this book contain games from the 2004 and 2005 Ohio State tournament, but it also contains Match games including the Cowie-Zuber Match from 1984, plus many more "old school" games. Plus, this book contains all of Alex's games from his first ACF tournament (1996 Ohio). The annotations in this book are phenomenal.

What's the best thing about this book? You don't have to be from Ohio to really enjoy it!

--Ryan
Ryan Pronk

Ohio Year Book

Postby Alan Millhone on Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:39 pm

Hello Everyone:

I will get my copies from Dr. Beckwith this coming week-end at the Illinois 101 in Marion,Illinois. Hope to see many familiar faces there this coming week-end................. and hopefully some new faces:-)

With me I will also have copies (those left) of the 1939 10th. ACA Tourney at Flint.

It is great to see these two books recently published and soon we will have " SIXTH" by our 3-Move World Champion.

" Knowledge is Power" and any aspiring player will certainly want to add all three of these fine books to their library.

Sincerely:
Alan Millhone, President
American Checker Federation
District 6 Champion
===============================================
" Reading my copy of 10th. ACA till my copy of "SIXTH" arrives "
Alan Millhone
Alan Millhone
Site Admin

Postby rich beckwith on Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:48 pm

Thanks for the kind words Ms. Becky and Ryan. I devoted much of my winter to this book to provide good content and much new play. There were also contributions from some other well-known Ohioans (Michael Holmes too).

Book is spiral bound similar to the recent 10th ACA book, and contains opening index. The font size came out a little smaller than I would have liked (I'll admit), and is similar to Lee's Guide. Book is 136 pages with many games (including GAYP, 3-move, 11-man ballot), history, and two problem sections. There are 51 numbered copies available.

I will be bringing copies to Illinois tournament and Medina National to raise money for Ohio Checker Association. Book is also available under ACF Store under Game transcripts or can be ordered directly through me.
Richard Beckwith
ACF Treasurer / WCDF President
rich beckwith

Postby rich beckwith on Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:53 pm

Oops.....Jim Loy provided some annotations too.
Richard Beckwith
rich beckwith

Postby MFulkerson on Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:58 pm

Does anyone have more information on the Ohio Checker Association?
MFulkerson

Postby rich beckwith on Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:05 pm

I borrowed from the Ohioan 1935 yearbook to write the history section of the new 2006 book. The book discusses the origins of the Ohio Association. The Ohio state tournament goes back to around 1904 (with Louis Cowie winning the most -- over 30 times!). Today, the Ohio Checker Association puts on the Ohio State tournament every September.
Richard Beckwith
rich beckwith

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:30 pm

As you know, "Selected games" Section in SIXTH contains 50 games. Preliminary I selected and annotated fully or partially about 54-56 games, but finally I decided to cut off by 50.

Unlucky :roll: game #51 was my game from NC 2004 with Alan Millhone, both players - Ohioans. As I said - game was completely annotated, but not included in the book because of number (51).

Richard, did this game became a part of Ohio book ? If so - I'll be very happy that finally it finds a nice home :P

Regards,

Alex
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Unlucky game # 51

Postby Alan Millhone on Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:32 pm

Hello Mr. Alex:

I will be honored to see one of my avarage games find its way into a book:-)

Looking forward to seeing you and Dr. B in Illinois this week-end.

Dr. Beckwith mentioned that the Ohio Association began in 1904........................ Was Mr. Louis Cowie playing back then:-)

I will be bringing along some 10th. ACA books to Illinois at $20.00 each while they last. Money from the sale of those 50 books goes into the ACF coffers.

Sincerely:
Alan Millhone, President
American Checker Federation
" AN AVERAGE CHECKER/DRAUGHTS PLAYER"
" Proud to see some new Checker/Draughts literature being published"
Alan Millhone
Alan Millhone
Site Admin

Postby rich beckwith on Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:30 am

Dear Mr. Alex,

Yes, I was able to include your Game 51, about 30 mid-game problems, and the 1996 Ohio games (for history) that you sent. I have a copy set aside for you that I'll bring to Illinois.

These sections, along with 2005 Ohio match, and 2004 and 2005 Ohio state tournament games mean almost half of this book contains World Champion-related material.

Alan.....
You asked if Louis Cowie was playing back in 1904.....I think he came in 3rd that year....

But seriously...this book is also a dedication to Louis Cowie. Two of the matches in the book are his, plus 2004 and 2005 tournament games, as well as over 30 original Cowie compositions that I have computer-checked. Can the reader solve "Cowie's Coup," Cowie's first ever problem, or Cowie's prize winning problem?

Without great players and contributors such as Alex and Louis, this book would not have been an attractive project.
Richard Beckwith
rich beckwith

Postby Patrick Parker on Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:02 pm

so there will be a few copies to be sold in illinois...?
Patrick Parker

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:43 pm

rich beckwith wrote:I have a copy set aside for you that I'll bring to Illinois.

I have original (not a copy !) $20 bill. We'll exchange in Illinois :lol:

Regards,

Alex
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby rich beckwith on Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:12 pm

Patrick,

Yes, I will be bringing several Ohio books to Illinois tournament with me so people can browse. Will also have several "older" checker books for sale too.
Richard Beckwith
rich beckwith

Return to General Discussion