really stupid question

General Discussion about the game of Checkers.

really stupid question

Postby help me on Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:38 pm

I'm really sorry to waste your time with such a basic question but I can't find the answer anywhere. I have never played checkers before and am trying to teach my son, when someone gets kinged where does the other checker come from??

Is it one of my stack or his stack or does it come off the board, is it the same or a different color?

Thanks,
Emily
help me

Re: really stupid question

Postby Palomino on Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:17 pm

Hi Emily,

John did a good job of explaining where the extra man for crowning a king comes from but I'd like to add to what he said by saying that often times when playing with the less expensive checkers sets that come with 24 men most of the time one side of the each checker will be plain and the other side of the checker will have a crown or star or something on it. The game is played from the start with the plain side of all men facing up and when a man reaches the far side of the board (the "King Row") that man is turned over so that the crown is facing up which will idenify that piece as a king.

Please don't think you are wasting anyone's time, we are happy to answer questions for anyone wanting to learn our game and it's great to hear that you are teaching your son to play, you will find checkers to be a game your son can enjoy his entire life.

Regards, "Pal" Bucker
Palomino

palomino

Postby kiwinurse on Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:06 pm

I sent you an email,via this forum, dont know if you received it. Let me know if you have, regards jan
kiwinurse

Postby CheckersStrongplayer on Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:48 pm

you guys sound so nice, lol, well, yes John made a good explanation....
Checkers is like being in heavens.
CheckersStrongplayer

Postby help me on Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:39 pm

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help. My son won his first game against me tonight, and is very excited. He's 6 and I wasn't helping him, so either he's good or I'm bad :)

Again thanks for the detailed answers, they really helped.
help me

Postby CheckersStrongplayer on Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:43 pm

you should probably try out a program of checkers.

A few of them are Nexus, Nemesis, CheckerBoard, and many others, just look them up in google since i don't have a direct link...sorry
Checkers is like being in heavens.
CheckersStrongplayer

Return to General Discussion