WCDF ratings

General Discussion about the game of Checkers.

Re: WCDF ratings

Postby Palomino on Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:55 pm

Jan, you must have in some way looked at table wrong. Wilma has a rating of 1913 and the title of Women's International Master and over all ranking of 287th among all rated players.

I'm sure the system that was used for calculating the ratings is a strict scientific mathematical formula, and I'm sure no system used for calculating ratings will be perfect but this is a start in the right direction and as the saying goes "the cream will rise to the top" given time.

Regards, "Pal" Bucker
Palomino

Postby shinzen on Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:00 pm

Jan,
Rating is one statistic method. If player have more game in perion, so mutch better. Jan, remember? I wanted cross table from NZ tournament... and I never received. And it is from more tournaments. Better for all is, witch tournament will be calculate (time, round etc) and how and who You need sended for me or Rich or another member of committee.
Regards,
Igor
shinzen

Postby AKA on Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:21 pm

Ingo_Zachos wrote:

To Mr. Razumikhin:
This list and the final official list as well as any title awarded will only reflect results in real-life events, no virtual internet games with hidden names, no referee, lag problems (if I play an American on Kurnik with 3 minutes each, I will only get about 30 seconds, he will get 3 minutes), equal conditions for all, and in that circumstances visualisation and even memory work different.
If those players r really as good as you think, they should enter tournaments and prove it like Mr. Rumpf or I did.

Greetinx from snow-covered Dortmund, Germany

Ingo Zachos

I never said online games should be counted in offline ratings LOL! Online has their own ratings for their gamesites which really don't mean anything. Most of the players online are younger and can't afford to travel thousands of miles to attend a tournament with low prize money in return! You seem like you have a small amount of bitterness in your post. I know it must be hard to do well in master divisions offline, then go to a small game site like Kurnik and get beat by some kids :)
AKA

Postby Ingo_Zachos on Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:07 pm

Igor_Razumikhin wrote: I know it must be hard to do well in master divisions offline, then go to a small game site like Kurnik and get beat by some kids :)

lol!
You didn't read it!
I beat players online that had master level or more, but in the tournament I could not play as effective yet.
Only problem beating those kids at Kurnik is, they would not accept anything with more then 3 minutes.
But in a tournament you cannot get an advantage by having a faster connection. You have to play better which is harder.
Try it!

BTW: As a chess player I can tell you, that there you also pay more travel expenses then you win on price money, unless u r a grandmaster, and even then giving lessons, simultans, writing books etc. r more lucrative then playing tournaments.
Sad, but true.
Still, more players play in chess tounaments then in checker tournaments.
If you want to make a living out of playing tournaments good luck!

Greetinx from Dortmund, Germany

Ingo Zachos
Ingo_Zachos

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:22 pm

Igor_Razumikhin wrote:I know it must be hard to do well in master divisions offline, then go to a small game site like Kurnik and get beat by some kids :)

Personally, I don't have any problems with this. It doesn't have any influence on my feelings or image :lol: Fast / blitz games help me to improve some skills and my play in real games. In very limited time (0.5-2 secs) you have to pick up if not the best move, but at least - reasonable.

In real games usually the very first move which come to your head usually (75%) is playing, even after 10-15 minutes calculations. This is an obvious fact, and fast games can help you with this process - picking right moves in short time.

Of course, 2004-2006 Internet generation is far from perfect, and I think generation 1998-2002, where Clayton Nash and Clint Olsen belong, was doing overall better. Clay and Clint played often long games, but today kids mostly like to play only fast games 1-3 mins.

But the good thing is - attitude. I am really enjoy sportsmenship most of those kids. Or maybe it's happened only with games against me ? :lol:

Regards,

Alex Moiseyev
RUSMS
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Kolsz on Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:01 pm

kewl topic guys :) :)
Kolsz

Previous

Return to General Discussion