Composing Contest 32-Delicate Victories

General Discussion about the game of Checkers.

Composing Contest 32-Delicate Victories

Postby Bill Salot on Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:02 am

Unofficial World Championship Checker Problem Composing Contest 32 - Delicate Victories - 3/18/17-4/30/17

See the Contest Page.

Wins can be so fragile.

Jim Morrison missed one of these wins in the recent, so-called perfectly played, 11-man ballot match against Alex Moiseyev.

The Old Master G. H. Slocum won one of them in a recently discovered game, which when published was labeled the "most deceptive seen in years".

Another was inspired by a game won by a first-time entrant in this contest.

A fourth expands on a line in Tescheleit's Master Play.

A fifth makes multiple corrections to a previously published problem.

Several run into published finishes, but their initial moves are original and provocative.

Even the problem titles have stories to tell (later).

Which one is best?

Who will become the new World Champion Problemist?

Anonymous voters, like you, will decide it right here on this site.

Please exercise the animator, vote for the one you deem best, and monitor the course of the contest by revisiting often.
Bill Salot

Re: Composing Contest 32-Delicate Victories

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:54 pm

Bill Salot wrote:Jim Morrison missed one of these wins in the recent, so-called perfectly played, 11-man ballot match against Alex Moiseyev.
Hey!! If you decided to make a theme from this game. you have to extend it by one more move back, just right before I played losing 2-6? and theme task must be - RED TO MOVE AND DRAW.

The fact that 3-7* on diagram is the only drawn move, is very pretty and not obvious. Both, me and Jim, during the game thought it's already a loss.

Re to move and draw.
A. Moiseyev vs J. Morrison,
11 man ballot WTM 2016, G14
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Bill Salot on Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:15 pm

Alex,

If you don't like the contest setting as presented, vote for one of the others. But please vote.
Bill Salot

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:43 pm

Bill Salot wrote:Alex, If you don't like the contest setting as presented
No, no! I like choice, it's a good theme, it was just a "social casual" comment from me. All I said - the problem can be improve and look better.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Bill Salot on Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:14 am

Alex,
Will you vote for one of them? If not, why not?
Your vote would be anonymous, and you are qualified.
Bill Salot

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:42 am

Bill Salot wrote:Alex, Will you vote for one of them?
I did.

My question about problem improvement remain in place :D The problem must be set up one move behind and 3-7* instead 2-6? must be part of solution.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Bill Salot on Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:40 pm

Thank you, sir, for your valued vote. Let's make it a habit.

I hope all these problems have you tuned up for Branson. They will do the same for others who choose to follow your lead.

One thing these contests have repeatedly shown is that individual opinions on the quality of checker problems is far from unanimous. It will be interesting to see how many others agree with your vote.

You have a right to your opinion regarding whether setting back the problem from your game and changing its terms would be an improvement. I'll bet there are others who believe the problem would have been better if it had been shorter with fewer variations.

Personally I like the composer's decision to spotlight your losing move by beating it . . . priceless!
Bill Salot

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:35 pm

Bill Salot wrote:Personally I like the composer's decision to spotlight your losing move by beating it . . . priceless!
But it's just valuable part of my setting and ... more! The draw (3-7*) which me and Jim missed have it's own value which is added to to published version.

Well ... it's my personal opinion only :D

Full solution of my proposed setting should include 3-7* draw as main variation + 2-6? loss as false solution. I don't try to undermine loss where I've been, I'm trying to value beautiful draw which was missed.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby George Hay on Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:01 pm

Bill, this is good contest, with a wide variety of problems, yet all keeping to the delicate victory theme. I am glad to see Mr. Alex voting, and I would love to see a problem by Mr. Alex in a future contest. Of course, we would not know that until the contest is over. :)

--George Hay
George Hay

Postby Bill Salot on Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:01 pm

Normally, I don't do this.
But Contest 32 closes at midnight Sunday, this weekend. Currently there is a 3-way tie for 1st place.
Here is a rare opportunity for somebody to cast the one vote that decides the winner! As soon as you vote, you will see the tally and know the effect of your vote.
The winner will appreciate it.
The ballot box is as close as the link below.
Bill Salot

Postby George Hay on Mon May 01, 2017 7:20 am

Congratulations to Wilma Wolverton for winning a delicate victory for Box Canyon, edging out strong competition to win Contest 32.

--George Hay
George Hay

Return to General Discussion