Contest 31, Final Round, Underway

General Discussion about the game of Checkers.

Contest 31, Final Round, Underway

Postby Bill Salot on Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:12 am

Here is some good practice for Branson. Don't miss it. It is on the cover page of this web site and at the link below.

There are no beginners' problems here. All are original and practical, but deceptive draws.

Two arose in games. All require at least five star moves to consummate. They all must contend against either one or two aggressive, mean-spirited, Red Kings. Two have critical variations (fake solutions), and two don't.

One of them was the recently published winner of Round 1. The other three are unpublished and provided by first-time challengers, who, at the same time, are veterans of the game.

What do you think of these entries? Tell us, or let your vote do the talking.
Bill Salot

Re: Contest 31, Final Round, Underway

Postby Bill Salot on Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:47 am

I would like to let you in on a little secret.

• Last year, Jim Loy researched some newspapers from back in the 1890s. He was looking for the problems composed by George H. Slocum, but missing from the “Slocum Strokes” book. He found a bunch, apparently published once in a now obscure paper, but never again. He sent them to me. I suspect Jim and I were then the only living souls who had ever seen these particular problems.

• Now think of all the many games and sports where fans have unsuccessfully tried to compare past and present champions in their prime. Do we have an opportunity here? Slocum, probably the most famous checker problem composer of all time and winner of multiple problem composing contests more than 100 years ago, has now given us a collection of his contest caliber problems that modern solvers have never seen. So what do you think happened?

• Yep! One of Slocum’s lost problems is in the current round of the current contest. When you vote, you will be helping determine how the Old Master in his prime fares against modern day challengers in fair competition. Can you deduce which problem is his? After the contest is over, we will have data to debate and a factual answer on the relative merit of one of Slocum’s gems. Slocum’s problem will then be disqualified due to prior publication, and our unbroken string of live champions will continue.

Mr. Slocum’s lost problems will occasionally return in future contests, until they are used up. Won’t you join us in those competitions too?
Bill Salot

Return to General Discussion