Evelyn Micallef died and Ernest wants to sell book inventory

General Discussion about the game of Checkers.

Evelyn Micallef died and Ernest wants to sell book inventory

Postby JR Smith on Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:10 am

I received an email from "Ernie" Ernest Leedham Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 12:30 AM
JR
Just to let you know that Evelyn has passed away.
If you know anyone that would like to buy the checker library, checkers, and board, both numbered and un-numbered. I will let them go ready cheap, the only thing is they will have to come a pick them up. There is a great deal on a lot of books plus boards!

Write: Ernest Leedham, 16 Romac Dr., Toronto, Ontario M1C 4V6, Canada; Call: 416-287-9616; or email: dgoodw9616@rogers.com

I will try to post Evelyn Micallef’s obituary soon.
A Checker Friend, JR Smith
JR Smith

Re: Evelyn Micallef died and Ernest wants to sell book inven

Postby Ed Trice on Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:47 pm

JR Smith wrote: I will let them go ready cheap, the only thing is they will have to come a pick them up.

I emailed him just to ask how much money they wanted.

I was told $20,000 and that a full-sized truck would be required to haul everything away.

I don't think that fits most people's definition of "really cheap."
Ed Trice

Postby John Acker on Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:26 pm

Well, the last price he quoted was $150,000, so $20,000 is some improvement. But I still don't think you could make your investment back.
John Acker

Postby tgf on Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:59 am

This link viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3680&p=29789 quotes $250,000 but also warns of xerox copies.
Many books are at the $2-3 dollars range, at the glance 400 books * $10 are about $4000 (old price). But it might be more than one copy of each.

I think the real value are the bound magazines, those run at over $100 a piece. Its a nice collection, would be nice to have them preserved in the online library if someone wants to take on such large project.
tgf

Postby chipschap on Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:56 pm

I won't comment on the prices, but I always thought Evelyn was just the nicest lady. I corresponded with her a little in the past, and I'm so sorry to hear she passed on.
chipschap

Postby Ed Trice on Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:04 pm

chipschap wrote:I won't comment on the prices, but I always thought Evelyn was just the nicest lady. I corresponded with her a little in the past, and I'm so sorry to hear she passed on.

Yeah I didn't mean to sound negative, if that's how it appeared. I vastly underestimated what was involved based on my own interpretation of the original post. If there was a count of the inventory or a summary of the most valuable articles, that would have been helpful. Just posting "checkers library for sale" spans a wide gamut of possible interpretations.
Ed Trice

Return to General Discussion