Computer programs tournament

General Discussion about the game of Checkers.

Computer programs tournament

Postby tgf on Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:19 pm

tgf

Re: Computer programs tournament

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:09 pm

I decided to copy this post here. According Mr. Grzelak information, he tries to contact with authors of Nemesis, Murray Cash and author of Wyllie Checkers, Roberto Waldtaufel. If anyone have direct and easy contact with these people and get them into conversation - it will be great. I don't know if author of Chinook have any interest to this event, but it also may be worthy to ask him.

============================================================================================================================================================================================================

Krzysztof Grzelak wrote:
tgf wrote:There is a guy in Poland, goes under the name Krzychumag on shashki.com, who does a wonderful job organizing and running World championships among computer programs, Russian checkers, Brazilian, and 10x10.
He sets up fast computers with similar hardware in his lab. He now wants to test Straight Checkers programs, many Russian programs have Draughts version, but I do not think they could compare to the dedicated programs you guys use.
Look him up, he proved himself a great and fair tester.

We sincerely thank you for your kind words about me tgf. It's me Krzychumag. I just wanted to write that last preparation for the tournament checkers English. So far in the tournament will have the following programs, of course, everything can change.

1. Aurora Borealis Professional
2. Kingsrow
3. WCC Platinum III
4. Sage Draughts 9.0
5. Nexus 99
6. Wincheck 3D 7.0
7. Gui Checkers 1.05+
8. Cake

For the tournament, I would like to include two programs - Nemesis 2.0 by Murray Cash and Wyllie Checkers by Roberto Waldtaufel . Unfortunately it's very hard to get these programs. If a person has these programs, please let me know, I will be very grateful.

Krzysztof
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Krzysztof Grzelak on Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:36 pm

Thank you very much Alex. Please write to me by name, and not by Mr.
Krzysztof Grzelak

Postby chipschap on Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:41 pm

Based on the current list of programs, there won't be much in the way of competition for Cake, KingsRow, and maybe WCC Platinum.
chipschap

Postby Krzysztof Grzelak on Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:06 am

chipschap wrote:Based on the current list of programs, there won't be much in the way of competition for Cake, KingsRow, and maybe WCC Platinum.

I'm sorry that I ask if I have the pleasure of Mr.Bob Newell.

Krzysztof
Last edited by Krzysztof Grzelak on Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Krzysztof Grzelak

Postby john reade on Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:24 am

You should include Colossus by Martin Bryant. This was one of the earliest.
john reade

Postby Krzysztof Grzelak on Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:07 am

john reade wrote:You should include Colossus by Martin Bryant. This was one of the earliest.

I'd added the program to the tournament, but unfortunately the program is not going to get it. Well, unless someone on the forum it owns and provides, I will be very grateful and thank you in advance.

Krzysztof
Krzysztof Grzelak

Postby chipschap on Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:48 pm

Krzysztof Grzelak wrote:
chipschap wrote:Based on the current list of programs, there won't be much in the way of competition for Cake, KingsRow, and maybe WCC Platinum.

I'm sorry that I ask if I have the pleasure of Mr.Bob Newell.

Krzysztof

I'm not sure of your meaning here, but my comment was not intended to be critical in any way. I just wanted to point out (and perhaps I was unclear) that there exist a few very strong programs and all the rest are vastly inferior in strength.
chipschap

Postby Ed Trice on Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:54 pm

Maybe some of you are not aware of this, but several years ago I did give the GUI Checkers program my 6-piece perfect play database, which it probes in RAM as it searches. This is available online as "GUI Checkers 1.10" from this link:

http://www.3dkingdoms.com/checkers.htm

It plays much stronger than GUI Checkers 1.05 since 1.10 has a faster move generator and much larger endgame databases. It still lacks an opening book, but it should provide a very stubborn defense if it ever gets into a loss. It can see up to 167 moves ahead with the endgame databases I designed for it.
Ed Trice

Postby chipschap on Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:07 am

When I did some informal evaluations years ago, I looked at an older version, GUI Checkers 1.00. I recall putting it in what I called "Class B" which means very good but well below the Class A entries such as Cake. I remember it playing to a draw against Damas 99, another Class B program by my estimation.

GUI Checkers 1.10 sounds interesting; I'll have to take a look.
chipschap

Postby Krzysztof Grzelak on Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:42 am

Ed Trice wrote:It plays much stronger than GUI Checkers 1.05 since 1.10 has a faster move generator and much larger endgame databases. It still lacks an opening book, but it should provide a very stubborn defense if it ever gets into a loss. It can see up to 167 moves ahead with the endgame databases I designed for it.

We would like to thank you for the information Mr. Ed.

Krzysztof
Last edited by Krzysztof Grzelak on Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Krzysztof Grzelak

Postby Krzysztof Grzelak on Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:45 am

chipschap wrote:I'm not sure of your meaning here, but my comment was not intended to be critical in any way. I just wanted to point out (and perhaps I was unclear) that there exist a few very strong programs and all the rest are vastly inferior in strength.

I understand and thank you for your opinion.

Krzysztof
Krzysztof Grzelak

Postby Krzysztof Grzelak on Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:53 am

chipschap wrote:When I did some informal evaluations years ago, I looked at an older version, GUI Checkers 1.00. I recall putting it in what I called "Class B" which means very good but well below the Class A entries such as Cake. I remember it playing to a draw against Damas 99, another Class B program by my estimation.

GUI Checkers 1.10 sounds interesting; I'll have to take a look.

Now I understood everything and I thank Mr.Bob. A huge and sincere request, You can ask to make available to the full version of the program to the needs of the tournament program Nexus. I have the program but not the full version.

Krzysztof
Krzysztof Grzelak

Return to General Discussion