SEE CONTEST #27

General Discussion about the game of Checkers.

SEE CONTEST #27

Postby Bill Salot on Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:25 am

UNOFFICIAL WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP CHECKER PROBLEM COMPOSING CONTEST #27 IS UNDERWAY.

It features deferred strokes popularized by G. H. Slocum in the late 19th Century. here in the early 21st millennium, they are still the problem style most appreciated by composers and solvers alike.

The four examples are all original, previously unpublished deferred triple jumpers hiding behind mesmerizing preambles. Their composers have all won earlier problem composing contests.

Please peruse the animated play and vote for the provocative plum that proves most pleasing. Ed Atkinson's crown is at stake.
Bill Salot

Re: SEE CONTEST #27

Postby tgf on Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:10 pm

Frankly I like them all, the deferred shots idea is great! This time I will not announce my pick, let everyone choose his own favorite
tgf

Postby George Hay on Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:59 am

Four fine checker problem compositions are featured in Contest #27, all deferred strokes worthy of the title Slocum Strokes.
Not only that, they are fun and instructional! :)

--George Hay

http://www.online-museum-of-checkers-hi ... /id71.html
George Hay

Postby George Hay on Sun May 01, 2016 11:42 am

Congratulations to Roy Little for winning Contest #27 with Slippery When Wet.
Second place Trapper John by Bill Salot must have been named after the popular MASH doctor.
Third place Trouble by Jim Loy has a play on words that reminds me of a Star Trek episode, The Trouble With Tribles, (season 2, episode 15).
Fourth place Summer Dream by Ed Atkinson ends in a challenging 2x2 setting that is not as easy as it looks!

--George Hay
George Hay

Postby chipschap on Sun May 01, 2016 1:03 pm

Bill is publishing the best contemporary problems to be found just about anywhere. Thanks to Bill and the composers!
chipschap

Return to General Discussion