rookie rule question

General Discussion about the game of Checkers.

rookie rule question

Postby rookie on Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:07 pm

Im sorry, this is an absolute newbie question, but i am confused and am teaching my son how to play. the rule states
A king once crowned can move in any direction as the limits of the board permit.

does this mean that a king can move more than one square per turn? As the limits would suggest to me that a kind could move three squares, as long as it didnt hit the edge of the board....just trying to be clear....
rookie

Re: rookie rule question

Postby rich beckwith on Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:15 pm

Dear Rookie,

Yes, as John said, the king can move (one square) or jump (two squares away per jump, and there may be double or triple jumps) in any direction.
Kings may jump in and out of kingrow in one movement, whereas a single pice must stop in the kingrow for one turn, even if there is an immediate jump back out of the king row available.

Note that many other forms of checkers (pool checkers and other international forms) do get into "flying" kings where a king moves more like a bishop in chess.
Richard Beckwith
ACF Treasurer / WCDF President
rich beckwith

Postby rookie on Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:15 pm

thanks!
rookie

Postby CheckersStrongplayer on Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:50 pm

Let's hope that you're not mistaken the game of checkers with draughts, they're alike but at the same time it's different.
Checkers is like being in heavens.
CheckersStrongplayer

Postby Ingo_Zachos on Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:33 am

CheckersStrongplayer wrote:Let's hope that you're not mistaken the game of checkers with draughts, they're alike but at the same time it's different.

Well, in fact draugts and checkers are the same game!
Draughts is the "English" word for the game and checkers the "American" word for it.

It's two words for the same, not for different styles of the game. Those styles are usually referred to by using their origin like "English Draughts", "Polish Draughts", and sometimes with an explaing adjective or substantive like "Pool Checkers" or "Minor Polish Draugths".

Greetinx from still cold Dortmund, Germany

Ingo Zachos
You can rent this space for advertising, if you like!
Ingo_Zachos

Postby CheckersStrongplayer on Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:59 pm

makes sense to me :)
Checkers is like being in heavens.
CheckersStrongplayer

Return to General Discussion