Ronald Reagan revisited

General Discussion about the game of Checkers.

Ronald Reagan revisited

Postby tgf on Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:11 am

I once posted here the Ronald Reagan's picture playing checkers with a kid, but the picture got ridiculed, the accusation was he posed, for the board was set with Mason on the right.
Recently there was a similar ridicule on another picture showing blind people playing checkers, how could they missed the board set incorrect - but then someone set us all straight, the picture was flipped, the clock was set on the wrong side.

So I checked the Reagan picture again, the only thing to indicate the origin was the hand he played with. I checked on line - and yes, Reagan was left handed! Mrs. Reagan ring sealed the conclusion - the original picture was posted flipped.
Image _ Image
tgf

Re: Ronald Reagan revisited

Postby George Hay on Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:17 am

Jake, the top picture looks correct and the bottom picture looks like a mirror image to me.
The fold in the checkerboard is vertical to the players, not horizontal.
President Reagan parted his hair on the right, and signed his signature with his right hand.

--George Hay

http://www.amazon.com/Reagan-Ronald-Che ... gan+poster
George Hay

Postby Palomino on Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:29 am

I checkered online and found Reagan to be one of three Presidents listed as being ambidextrous along with Pres. Garfield and Pres. Truman.

As to which picture is correct or reversed we can look to another indicator and that being the fact that nearly 100 percent of the time a woman's dress or blouse has the buttons on the left while a man's shirt has the buttons on the right.

My guess is that the Reagan family, like so many others, just didn't know the correct way to set up a checker board and I don't see that it's a big deal as long as they were having fun.
Last edited by Palomino on Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CHECKERS: The Mind Sport of Kings and Ordinary Men.
Palomino

Postby tgf on Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:54 am

Thanks George and Palomino, your arguments were formidable and left no doubt as to first picture being correct.
The last insight about man's buttons being on the right confirmed already existing conclusion that this picture of blind men playing was reversed.
tgf

Return to General Discussion