school visits

General Discussion about the game of Checkers.

school visits

Postby kiwinurse on Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:21 pm

Just wanted to speak to you guys about going into High Schools in their lunchtimes, and playing a few checker games with them.You haven't heard from me for a while on here,but I am still alive and kicking lol. My daughter is a highschool teacher,and recently she asked me to come in and play a few games with the students in the school library at lunch times.The first day a small number arrived,and quite a few had never played,or even knew what checkers was. There were a few chess players.
So all I did was set out some boards and checkers and let them go for it,while I played and watched,and commented now and again, on good strategies.The next week, more students arrived and were really keen to give it a go.And each week, more are arriving.Its the end of the term next week, so I have issued a challenge to the kids,that if they can beat me, I will give them $20.The kids are really keen now,and some of them have gone away to study checkers,because they want that $20.
For all you retired people out there,who have time on their hands,ring the schools and ask them if you could come in once a week to play the kids.My daughter is thinking of starting a checker club at school.
In one of the primary schools here,a teacher is letting the kids play checkers in class to help their maths learning. Interesting.And I have yet to approach her about that ,and how its going.Which I will do. regards Jan
kiwinurse

Re: school visits

Postby Palomino on Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:47 pm

Well gees Jan, that's great and it's good to hear from you! Keep us informed on how things go and if anyone earns a 20.
I think Ol' Jim could use a 20 also, have you offered him the same deal? Is he up to the challenge? LOL..."Pal"
CHECKERS: The Mind Sport of Kings and Ordinary Men.
Palomino

Postby kiwinurse on Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:36 pm

He has just been in the states Pal on his bike,Had a great time.Yes he is broke enough now to challenge me.
kiwinurse

Postby George Hay on Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:33 am

Hi Jan, thanx for the update! Checkers is part of a well-rounded education, and chess could not possibly be the only "scholastic" mind sport.
If a young person is really interested in competitive chess, I can think of no better way to get the "edge" than to study checkers and at least learn
the fundamentals like the "move." What better way is there to learn about the "move" in chess than to learn about it in checkers first? Checkers, of course, is a great stand alone game, and I don't have to tell you that it is at least as competitive as chess! I've been caught up in two chess movies lately, Searching For Bobby Fischer and Queen To Play. Both movies are relevant to checkers, and the Searching For... movie is especially relevant to checkers for kids!

--George Hay
George Hay

Postby liam stephens on Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:00 am

Greetings Jan,

Keep up the good work with the schools - one way to keep the game alive.
Well done !! - Liam.
liam stephens

Postby kiwinurse on Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:22 pm

Thankyou Liam and George. If we don't get young ones interested,the game is dead.And what does it cost to spend one day a week playing kids checkers? In fact its great fun,and they enjoy the challenge.
kiwinurse

Postby Lindus Edwards on Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:33 pm

So proud of you Jan.
Lindus Edwards

Postby kiwinurse on Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:44 am

Thanks Lindus,not as proud as I am of you,winning the English open and the welsh open!Its school holidays now,and on the last day of school,i had high school kids lined up to play,trying hard to win the $20.00.But they didn't,hopefully next term one of them will.
kiwinurse

Postby kiwinurse on Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:52 pm

Well the school year has almost finished,and I played my highschool friends for the last time today.They were so keen,and more and more are being added ,eager to play checkers.This time I played six of them at once,and they were sure they would beat me,but they didn't.Many of them asked if I was going to continue next year,and I replied "For Sure' These young men are coming to life over a checker board.The librarian told me(as we play in the library)that she hadn't known the library to be buzzing with excitement before,and she wants to continue next year,and get other games going as well.
Anyone can contact a school and come in during a lunch hour and play,and all those men and women in retirement can bring to life checkers again.If only people would.A few years ago Alan Milhoune presented me with some cheap checker sets,and they are adequate to play with.Perhaps if you ask the ACF they will supply the boards and checkers,but we must get the game going again,You know tv games,ipad games don't compare with sitting down and playing an opponent,and for the kids this is probably a first in their lives that they've played a board game ,and they love it.
kiwinurse

Postby kiwinurse on Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:41 pm

Would any of you guys be interested in playing in a world qualifier in New Zealand next year?Its just a thought,but you might be interested in coming over.
kiwinurse

Postby Lindus Edwards on Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:12 pm

Well done with the school Jan, this is precisely what the game needs. Please keep up the great work.
Lindus Edwards

Postby George Hay on Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:12 am

Jan, it would be great to see the top American players as well as the top players from around the world
play in New Zealand for the World Qualifier in GAYP, as well as the Women's World Championship,
and the Youth World Championship. :)

--George Hay
George Hay

Postby Lindus Edwards on Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:26 pm

I agree entirely with the above post by George. New Zealand would be a wonderful location for the next qualifiers. As a friend of Jan I would most definitely visit and attend the event as a spectator. I would learn much from watching the great checker players.
Lindus Edwards

Postby john reade on Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:08 pm

Jan, Were you thinking of making a bid to hold the World Qualifiers in New Zealand next year? If so I'll mention it to the Executive Board of the WCDF. It would be nice to get over to Zealand again. John.
john reade

Postby kiwinurse on Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:20 pm

I can hold it here john and George,but it will take me a while to get organized,i was just feeling my way on here,on who would be keen to attend,because I have to have numbers ,to get any funding to hold it.New Zealand is a beautiful country,away from the troubles of the world,thats one advantage of living down under.
kiwinurse

Next

Return to General Discussion