"The closing of the World of Checkers Museum"

General Discussion about the game of Checkers.

"The closing of the World of Checkers Museum"

Postby Palomino on Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:28 pm

September 1st marked the closing of the "World of Checkers Museum". Due to the rapidly declining health situation of its curator Don Deweber aka "Mr. Checkers". You may still enjoy seeing some of the museums holdings (which will be regularly updated) by going to nccheckers.org and then scroll to the middle of the page and click on World of Checkers Museum. At present a new home and curator is being sought to take over this fine museum.
CHECKERS: The Mind Sport of Kings and Ordinary Men.
Palomino

Re: "The closing of the World of Checkers Museum"

Postby Irma Sierra on Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:47 pm

Is he at the hospital????
just lady.......
Irma Sierra

Postby Palomino on Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:55 am

No Irma, he is at home but it is very hard for him to move about. Thanks for asking, I know he appreciates your concern.
Palomino

Postby Irma Sierra on Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:16 am

Good...will try to reach him....
just lady.......
Irma Sierra

Postby Lindus Edwards on Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:27 pm

This is indeed sad news. I will keep Don in my thoughts and prayers. We had a few disagreements at this site but we always nevertheless remained good friends. Wishing you well my good friend Don.

Best wishes always,

Lindus.
Lindus Edwards

Postby tgf on Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:20 am

I read there was over 20,000 books in the World of Checkers Museum, that is a much more than in OCL, only how does it help you, even if you travel there you can't really read much and can't take it home. They say if it is not on internet it does not exist - physical books are good for collectors, but their scanned images should be accessible to all. Then the books live on.
tgf

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:39 am

Jake, most of Don DeWeber (Mr. Checkers) books library he already passed to community college library. Mainly only physical, collectable items remain in house and high level rarities books.
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby tgf on Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:59 am

It is great that Don passed the books to the local college, but how many people can go there? How many of those rare books will never see another pair of eyes, tucked away in some back shelf or sitting in a box? I think it is a disservice to the book and its author if the work cannot be seen and admired by thousands viewers online.
tgf

Postby Palomino on Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:17 pm

Jake, for clarification books were never a part of the "World of Checkers Museum" the museum has no books, it is a collection of checkers related memorabilia including a wide variety of checker sets, checkerboards checkers art, etc. The museum is no longer open for visits by the public but can still be viewed and enjoyed online at http://www.nccheckers.org/NCCA/Don%20De ... 0Album.htm "Mr. Checkers" will continue to add pictures of the items which make up the museum's collection for everyone to enjoy.

Don Deweber aka "Mr. Checkers" is a true "Checker Bibliomaniac. For many, many years he has specialized in the collection of straight checkers literature printed in the English language. Rarely, but on occasion he would play a few games of checkers, but his first love has always been his books. He lived among his books (day and night) and each book became a dear friend to him. His whole life has been centered around his library and in 1980 he created the "John Caldwell-Irving Windt Library of Checkers".

A few years ago Don generously donated a copy of every checker book in the "John Caldwell - Irving Windt Library of Checkers" to the Special Collections and Rare Books Section of the Loras College Library in Dubuque. All duplicate copies and the remainder of the library went to the Special Collection Department of the Cleveland Library.
Palomino

Postby tgf on Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:27 pm

There was no critisism, Mr. Checkers has everyone admiration. I am sure both places will take great care of the books, even if you will never see them.
Last edited by tgf on Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
tgf

Postby tgf on Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:28 pm

how to delete the post?
Last edited by tgf on Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
tgf

Postby tgf on Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:28 pm

tgf

Postby Danny_Alvarez on Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:51 am

I hope Don gets better soon.... he is a great person and a credit to the checker community
Amateur Checkerist, Professional Lover of the Game
Danny_Alvarez

Return to General Discussion