Good Exercise

General Discussion about the game of Checkers.

Good Exercise

Postby Bill Salot on Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:05 pm

This is to remind all that solving problems from the diagram on the ACF Bulletin Guest Beginners' Page is good exercise for players at all levels. That page in the current issue is Ed Atkinson's seventh, all excellent, with more to come.
Bill Salot

Re: Good Exercise

Postby tgf on Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:49 pm

Thanks Bill, I really enjoyed solving all five.
The Swindle was most technical but it had a familiar theme and checker 14 had no role.
The Dreamer was intricate, not long but fresh - I liked it most.
Thr Bridge Too Far was another heavy shot, but 16-11 could have been the first move too.
Practically Practical was, well, practical - a nice swing.
The Breakthrough was also nice.

What impressed me the most was the effort and know-how to set up such complex page.

Thanks!

Jake
tgf

Re: Good Exercise

Postby Bill Salot on Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:38 pm

Thanks, Jake, for your kind comments on Problem Composing Contest #18. I hope they were accompanied by your vote for the best problem. Such contests are seldom discussed on this forum, but they get a lot of silent visitors.

Unpublished strokes from kingless settings are hard to come by, so contests between such problems, as in Contest #18, won't recur very often. They also tend to be less difficult to solve than compositions that include a little king play. If you will try your hand in future contests, you may face some problems that will be more challenging.

Unfortunately the link, that automatically accompanies my signature on these posts, sent you to the Contest Page, when my intent was instead for you to sight solve the eight problems on Ed Atkinson's Guest Beginners' Page #7 in the current (August) ACF Bulletin. To do that will be quite a feat for some and good exercise for advanced players like you. Ed cleverly incorporates a lot of original insight into his work. Check it out.
Bill Salot

Return to General Discussion