Analysis of Checkers

General Discussion about the game of Checkers.

Analysis of Checkers

Postby Cheryl on Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:26 pm

I am a student of The Ohio State University studying pre-Landscape Architecture. I am currently enrolled in a design studio course. We are presently working on the analysis of a sport. I chose checkers and in my research I came across the ACF website. The site has been extremely helpful but I am still left with some questions. It is my hope that someone may be able to answer my questions or refer me to another source so that I may achieve a better understanding.
My first task in this checkers analysis is to determine the spatial and social complexities of the game. The first idea I would like to understand is why Americans play on a 64 square grid as opposed to a 100 square grid like many other countries? The next idea I would like to better understand is why the gameboard is green and white and why the pieces are red and white? I would also like to know what the materiality of the official gameboard is and if it folds? Aditionally, I would like to find out the thickness of the game board and where the board and pieces are stored (if applicable).
For my second task of dealing with the social aspects of the game,I would like to know if there is a dress code for the players and referees? Lastly, I would like to know if players and spectators interact with each other aside from the matches?
Any help you may be able to offer would be very much appreciated! Thank you for time.
Cheryl

Re: Analysis of Checkers

Postby matthewkooshad on Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:41 pm

Board / Piece colors: http://www.usacheckers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=307

Best of luck with your studies. Maybe someone else can help you with the other questions and this question if that link does not fully answer it.
matthewkooshad

Postby john reade on Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:44 am

Cheryll,

A couple of books you could be looking at are The Oxford History of Board Games by David Parlett published by OUP 1999, and A History of Board Games other than Chess by H.J.R. Murray published by OUP 1951. There is also a new book by Arie van der Stoep which I have mislaid at the moment.

Everyone played on an 8x8 board originally. Then the French introduced new rules whereby men could take backwards and kings have the long move in the 1700's. They found the 8x8 board was too cramped for this new game so they introduced the 10x10 board.

Playing with red and white pieces on a plastic board with green and white squares is a fairly recent innovation. Not more than 20 years or so. And only for checkers as far as I know. The Dutch still play on wooden boards with black and white wooden pieces.

There is no dress code for checkers players or officials, and hardly any interaction between players and spectators. There are virtually no spectators. In the sense of non-players.

John.
john reade

Thank you for your help!

Postby Cheryl on Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:00 am

I just wanted to say thanks for the replies. I also would like to ask if you know if there is a regulated board thickness? If not does there happen to be a typical thickness?
Cheryl

Postby john reade on Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:28 am

Cheryl,

Sorry I misspelt your name last time.

The green and white plastic boards are usually about 1 millimetre thick. Why do you want to know this?

Whereabouts do you live? You ought to try to contact the local draughts players if you can. Play a few games. Enter a tournament. Etc.

John.
john reade

Return to General Discussion