Wiswell-Hopper 1953 For The record

General Discussion about the game of Checkers.

Wiswell-Hopper 1953 For The record

Postby Richard Pask on Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:09 am

Endorsed by the ACF, and directed by Dr Robert Shuffett, this 40-game match was played between 7th and 17th December 1953. Ample photographs of the match exist, and someone presumably has a complete copy of the games.(Handed on by Wiswell or Hopper?) RLF sent me the 11 games which were issued, and another is to be found in CCC P623. (See also BDJ pp 205 and 236 for information.) For the benefit of all, I'll type up the 12 games extant in the introduction to 21st Century Checkers the 11-15s. Judging from these 12 games, the standard of this match did not equal that of the 1951 encounter, and may be the reason why the games were not published. Like the King-Francis games, it would be great to have them all for the record.
Richard Pask

Re: Wiswell-Hopper 1953 For The record

Postby George Hay on Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:44 am

Richard Pask, it will be great to see 12 games of the "checker kings in action" rematch! Even the score is often given incorrectly! The correct score (thanx to Jay H.) was 2-2-36 with Wiswell retaining the crown!
--George Hay
George Hay

Postby Jay H on Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:17 pm

Greetings all,
From an e-mail I received from Mr. Al Darrow.....
" I recall receiving a booklet as a contributor of this match. I was at Bowdoin College during this time and managed to procure an exhibition for Tom.......
The next morning I asked him about publishing the Second Wiswell-Hopper and he replied that most of the games were published draws and he wasn't planning to publish them beyond the games sent to the contributors.....I'll try to find the booklet and send you a copy. "
This indicates that the games were recorded.......Al was dealing with some health issues at the time of this correspondence. This was over 2 years ago. I have not heard from him, and did not want to pest him. Perhaps he could not find his copy. Richard, it might be worth the effort to contact him regarding your project....if you like, I will pm you his e-mail address. Let me know.

Regards

Jay Hinnershitz
Aut Inveniam Viam Aut Faciam !!!
Jay H

Postby George Hay on Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:21 am

The GAYP Supplement in 21st Century Checkers: 11-15s has the 12 extant games of Wiswell vs Hopper II.
All four wins are included! Thank you Richard Pask, and I look forward to this ongoing series of the seven first moves!
--George Hay

http://www.bobnewell.net/checkers/paskpdf.html
George Hay

Postby tgf on Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:57 pm

The library contains eleven games of the match one can replay on screen. The description sent in reads:
GAYP 2-2-36 draws
The few un-annotated sheets that Wiswell published apparently did not include repeated games. And after the 15th game, it said that the rest of the games were drawn. Several people have said that after Wiswell pulled even (after having been down two games), Hopper withdrew from the match, claiming that he had to get back home to run his business.
tgf

Postby George Hay on Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:59 pm

tgf wrote: Several people have said that after Wiswell pulled even (after having been down two games), Hopper withdrew from the match, claiming that he had to get back home to run his business.

Jake, that is a surprise turn of events in this mystery of checkers history! What reference is there for this piece of the puzzle?
I would be interested in how many games were actually played! The Ellis Collection at OMOCH shows a trophy presentation in
EXHIBIT 190MS and EXHIBIT 189MS. Both Wiswell and Hopper are present.
--George Hay

http://www.online-museum-of-checkers-hi ... /id69.html
George Hay

Postby tgf on Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:10 pm

As I said the description was sent in, I think the games as well though I am not sure if I used them since I had them in the database
tgf

Postby George Hay on Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:21 pm

Hi Jake, thank you for your reply and for the above link to the Aurora Borealis 11 Games from the Online Checkers Library.
I appreciate that the games in Aurora are labeled in the heading as to the actual game in the match. I did notice a difference
in the game sequence when compared to the 12 extant games in Pask's GAYP Supplement. Game 15 in Aurora is the same as
Game 9 in the GAYP Supplement. Game 9 and Game 15 have the same moves until white's ninth move. The extra game
not in Aurora is from the California Checker Chatter (CCC), Volume 5. Jan-Feb 1954, page 623.
--George Hay
George Hay

Postby tgf on Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:23 pm

Time to time I find interesting stuff on internet, this one about Hopper - only they say William at the top and Millard later on - why?
William Hopper, undisputed (excuse me..."Unrestricted" ) checkers champion. Born 1897 and learning the game in Greenwich Village (where checkers still rules the streets in certain neighborhoods) He had a good, if unusual mentor...famed baseball pitcher Christy Mathewson of the New York Giants Baseball team, himself a top-of the line checker player, shared his moves with William and a champ was created.. There were more sopisticated checker stylists, but Hopper practiced the GAYP technique (Go As You Please) rather than the methods which require one to play several moves ahead.

So Good was Hopper, he taught Checkers on RADIO for a brief time in the 1930s. While demonstrating his chops at the 1939 World's Fair, Hopper took on 5,000 challengers and only lost three times. Hopper also ran a booth at Coney Island, I imagine it was a "beat the champ" game he never lost.

But with the war, the game of checkers took on new meaning and Hopper jumped to new responsibilities. The Troops. He was recruited by the Salvation Army U.S.O to teach his skills to the boys. Our heroes were facing long hours in foxholes, bunkers and tents... and the game they had played at home was perfect to bring soldiers together and pass the boredom. It is said Hopper entertained over 1 million serviceman and traveled 150,000 miles. In fact, Millard was profiled in Life Magazine, November 16, 1942 teaching the game to marines bound for war. And you know what? Dear Millard kept on...the photo above has him still sharing his skills to a group of wounded vets four years AFTER the war ended. THAT is the sign of a true King. Crown him!
tgf

Postby George Hay on Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:33 am

tgf wrote:Time to time I find interesting stuff on internet, this one about Hopper - only they say William at the top and Millard later on - why?

The journalist may have confused Millard Hopper with William Ryan, who was also a checkers showman. Also active checkers showmen of that era
were Newell Banks and Tom Wiswell.
--George Hay
George Hay

Postby George Hay on Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:15 am

nice find :)
George Hay

Postby tgf on Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:24 am

Here is another fine find
The OMOCH's Timeline says:
4/18- ENGLISH CHAMPIONSHIP TOURNAMENT at LONDON.
JACK THORPE VS. PERCY CRABBE 3-0-1 DRAW IN FINAL.
THORPE WINS TITLE.
tgf

Return to General Discussion