New Beginner's Book

General Discussion about the game of Checkers.

New Beginner's Book

Postby Richard Pask on Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:05 am

Dear all,

Last summer - final 2 weeks of August - I was asked to write a book on checkers/draughts for an absolute beginner.

This is now available to buy on Amazon USA (and to pre-order on Amazon UK) for $9.99.

I haven't yet seen the final, printed version myself, so US players will be one step ahead of me!

Naturally, I'd be very interested to hear your views on the forum, and hopefully get positive reviews on Amazon.

Apparently the book also comes with a fold-old board and some wooden pieces, but I have no idea what these are like.

To summarize the contents:

pp 4-5 Intro
pp 6-13 Rules
pp 14-21 Opening
pp 22-29 Midgame
pp 30-33 Simple tactics
pp 34-37 Advance tactics
pp 38-41 Simple endings
pp 42-47 Endgame
p48 The opposition

It was a pleasure working with Design Principals and Parragon on this and, together, I believe we have produced an attractive introduction to the game.

All the best, Richard Pask
Richard Pask

Re: New Beginner's Book

Postby Richard Pask on Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:13 pm

Parragon Checkers (Draughts)
Richard Pask

Postby Richard Pask on Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:22 am

You have the correct book/pieces.

My understanding is that my name will be on the inside rather than the cover.
Richard Pask

Postby George Hay on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:40 am

Hello Richard Pask! I just received the Parragon Portable Checkers Set--checkers,board, and How To Play Checkers by Richard Pask. You are given credit on page one, and page two! The checkerboard has muted red and white squares that go well with the black and white checkers. The set is easy on the eyes, portable but not too small. I can't wait to read How To Play Checkers. Thumbing through it, I see it has new and basic advice on the opening. It also has classic problems that beginners will be delighted to learn, and experts can see how many they can "sight solve."
Did I mention I can't wait to read it? :)
--George Hay
George Hay

Postby Richard Pask on Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:02 am

George,

Thanks for this. For my interest, is the layout of Chapters as per my original post?
Richard Pask

Postby George Hay on Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:37 am

Richard, the Contents page is almost the same as your original post. The only difference (other than minor wording)
is that the Contents page does not have "p48 The opposition." However, on page 48 the title is "More on the Opposition."
It is organized so that page 48 is part of The Endgame chapter. I'm about half way through The Midgame chapter right now. I just want to mention, The Opening Moves chapter is very well constructed, and very instructive. :)
--George Hay
George Hay

Postby Richard Pask on Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:57 am

Dear George,

Many thanks! I look forward to your final review. Richard
Richard Pask

Postby George Hay on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:08 am

Richard Pask, I just got done reading How To Play Checkers, and then won a test game playing a computer program.
I used only the Parragon checkers set to keep track of the moves while reading How To Play Checkers.
I like the well organized format, and the fresh look at checkers/draughts. The Opening Moves chapter has Black's seven moves, followed by White's seven replies. Each of the 14 openings goes at least to White's 7th move, with pointers along the way. Each opening has its own diagram. The midgame is divided into the early midgame and the late midgame. I don't know if "divided" is the right word because you transition the game from opening to ending in the midgame. The endgame is described clearly and the diagrams are well placed. You are not afraid to play out a position to the very last move, and not afraid to state the obvious. Also, you are not afraid to "mix it up" with some checkers fireworks! I like the Parragon checkers/draughts board game box set. All in all, How To Play Checkers is a powerful primer, and a good read.
--George Hay
George Hay

Postby Richard Pask on Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:53 pm

Dear All,

If anyone has bought 'Parragon Checkers' (Amazon USA) or 'Parragon Draughts' (Amazon UK) and is pleased with it, perhaps they could leave a review on Amazon.

The fact that the board and pieces supplied exactly match the diagrams in the book is good, I feel, and although the book is very small, the fact that it is pocket-sized is handy in many ways - certainly not off-putting to a beginner - and doesn't prevent it from covering, briefly, all aspects of the game.
Richard Pask

Postby Ingo_Zachos on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:08 pm

Dear Richard,

I was recently informed that one of your books will be translated into German and published here in Germany. It looks like your work slowly promotes our game and that your reputation rises beyond the checker/draughts family. Keep up the good work.

Greetinx from Germany on a (finally!) sunny weekend,

Ingo Zachos
You can rent this space for advertising, if you like!
Ingo_Zachos

Postby Richard Pask on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:37 am

George: Many thanks for the Amazon review!
Richard Pask

Postby George Hay on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:28 pm

Richard: You are welcome, I just wanted to make sure the public knows who wrote it!
--George Hay
George Hay

Postby George Hay on Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:54 am

The Parragon Portable Checkers Set--checkers,board, and How To Play Checkers by Richard Pask, is back in stock! :)
http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Checkers ... n+checkers

--George Hay
George Hay

Return to General Discussion