Observation for your ACF President.

General Discussion about the game of Checkers.

Postby liam stephens on Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:06 am

Alan Millhone said:

[quote:d429ecaa7d]I don't like 'mean' postings and prefer they not be on the forum. I am sorry if you don't like these guidelines (rules), but that is the way it will be. [/quote:d429ecaa7d]

Dear Alan , I welcome those sentiments, but I have to say that there is apparently one rule for a world champion and another for us lesser mortals. The second posting which followed your own, could at best be regarded as belittling and at worst downright insulting to all sufferers from Schizophrenia or mental health illnesses. It seems that in his case any sly innuendo made at other peoples expense is perfectly acceptable. That it could be considered as a matter for jocularity seems incredible, and is sad indeed. I am copying that posting to the Schizophrenia Societies in Britain, Ireland and America for them to use in their combat against prejudice towards sufferers from mental illness.

It is surely time for the President to act with the impartiality due from that Office and not to pander to one man’s prejudices and ill manners, however exalted his position might be. As another president once remarked: “ The buck stops here”

By way of atonement here is an article that I hope readers might find moving.

Yours sincerely, Liam Stephens.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 15, 2005
Advocacy for Mentally Ill - Personal Story
filed under Schizophrenia Advocacy · Schizophrenia Personal Story
Another good story I'd like to point people towards - like an earlier story this week - from the Amherst College Alumni magazine. Following is an excerpt:
Music, Stigma and Carrying a Voice
By Robert Simpson '69, chief operating officer of Sisters of Providence Health System Behavioral HealthCare
When does the mind truly become conscious about what it is we really are here on this earth to do? I remember as a student thinking with envy that you, my colleagues, had it all figured out upon graduation: off to law school, medical school and business school to become lawyers, doctors or corporate executives. ...
Through a confluence of events, I ended up working in a psychiatric hospital, thinking that I was doing it to make money to go to graduate school at Johns Hopkins, where I had been accepted into the School of International Relations. But I was hooked: I enjoy taking care of people who have no voice, like the mentally ill in our society. Of all the illnesses that we treat in medicine, mental illness is the most stigmatized. ...
My favorite aunt taught in the town’s one-room schoolhouse, played the organ at church and taught me to play the piano, beginning when I was 5 years old. She was a remarkable woman: pretty, red-haired, proud, kind and generous. To me, she was the most special person in the world.
When I was 7 she was hospitalized in a mental hospital for depression. I was distraught—no one would talk about it. She herself was acutely embarrassed by her illness, though she shouldn’t have been. I refused to go to school until I could see her. I remember being confused by her behavior; it did not seem like her to me, and no one could or would explain it to me. I just wanted her back, to go on as we had been living: crackers-and-cream-cheese snacks after school, baseball with the nuns and piano lessons. ...
I moved over to Providence Behavioral Health Hospital, where I am the chief operating officer.
I took the position not necessarily because I am a Catholic, but because it fit my early history, my memories of my aunt and my commitment to her. When she died, she gave me a doll with a note pinned to it: “Robbie, now that you are in the business, please find a special place for people like me.” She also gave me her grand piano, which I have moved with me from Boston to Utah to Amherst, and now to Providence. My aunt’s piano and I have recently been on a television news special about mental illness. When I welcome new employees to the hospital I end the welcome by telling them about my aunt, about how they can make a difference in the lives of patients by helping them find their voice. Then I play the piano—a jazzy piece about the pace of work and Clair de Lune, about the need to work together as the players in an orchestra must do.
In Massachusetts, only 20 percent of the children needing treatment for mental illness receive it. It’s not right. My aunt would be ashamed, but not necessarily surprised.
Read the full story here: Music, Stigma and Carrying a Voice
liam stephens

Re: Observation for your ACF President.

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:50 am

Hello, dear liam !

Sorry for misspelling the word "Schizophrenia". Yes, I honestly and strongly beleive that all forum members who uses multi-id's shall be considered as shizorpenics and ban from ACF forum :violent3: :violent1:

Some time ago I was in opposite to ACF President intention to control things in forum, and I was in favor of giving more freedom to forum members. However, it is clear now, that some people are not ready for freedom and abuse it. Today I support Presdient action. So ... it wasn't Alan Millhone who took my position, but me joint with his view on this matter.

Again, liam,

nothing really wrong with second id. I was thinking seriously about taking this action to increase and support conversation in POSITIONS and GAMES section, and create an interesting dialogue. But the problem is - most people usually use this option to post negatives.

liam, I am afraid - you've got a bad, wrong company :mumum: ==> :sign6:

Respectfully,

Alex Moiseyev
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby matthewkooshad on Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:46 pm

IMO, a person should be banned on the first occurence of this. The person can always email an admin of the board if it is important/desired to have the privilege that was taken away. The system previous to now seemed to be less disciplinary than that of a parent who at least gives his/her child a timeout when needed haha.
matthewkooshad

Postby Lindus Edwards on Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:59 pm

As always, brilliantly said Liam. I agree with your every word.
Last edited by Lindus Edwards on Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lindus Edwards

rude and obnoxious

Postby kiwinurse on Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:52 am

What a rude obnoxious posting Alex
kiwinurse

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:35 am

kiwinurse wrote:What a rude obnoxious posting Alex

Something for moderator :idea:
Last edited by Alex_Moiseyev on Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby liam stephens on Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:20 am

Thank you Jan and Lindus for your support.

It is said that sole reliance on emoticons is the last refuge for the illiterate.
liam stephens

Postby Lindus Edwards on Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:35 am

You are welcome Liam. I really like that quote.
Lindus Edwards

Postby matthewkooshad on Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:07 am

LOL, I'm not fond of a big list of emoticons as I said somewhere else earlier, but that last one was funny looking.
matthewkooshad

Observation for your President

Postby liam stephens on Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:24 pm

There is an old saying:

"Silence speaks louder than words"
liam stephens

mental illness

Postby kiwinurse on Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:40 pm

Liam, your above article reminded me someone who came to stay with me last year.Due to ignorance and labelling she had been branded mentally ill and quite mad,but lifes circumstances growing up had caused a depression in her from a very small child.But noone recognized it in her growing up years, or didnt sit and listen to her.Often children arent listened too,and are passed off as brats if they get desperate enough to make a fuss to be heard.
To look at her you would not know there was anything mentally wrong.She is absolutely a beautiful girl and very very intelligent, but all she wanted was to end her life.
She too was labelled schizophrenic and also having manic depression by the time she was 16,and by the time she was 19 she was given a series of shock treatments,because she was desperate enough to try anything
She came to me at her lowest point and i listened and found a very wise counsellor in the area,who was able to uncover what was really wrong and enable her to give voice to her depression,from there she flourished and is now working and living as shes never lived before.
It is a cruel thing to put a label on someone and make fun of something so serious.
I had a phonecall from her yesterday, shes now 21 and going on with her life.And her depression symptoms are slowly leaving.A lot of labelling words like schizophrenia are used by ignorant people who do not understand or seek to understand what that really means
kiwinurse

mental illness

Postby liam stephens on Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:32 pm

What a heart warming account that is Jan.
liam stephens

schizophrenia

Postby kiwinurse on Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:47 pm

thanks liam
kiwinurse

Postby Lindus Edwards on Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:48 am

What a touching account by Jan Mortimer.
Lindus Edwards

Return to General Discussion