Free course in 10x10 Draughts

General Discussion about the game of Checkers.

Re: Free course in 10x10 Draughts

Postby Danny_Alvarez on Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:18 pm

im reading it as we speak.... it might help me win a game against the african players i am trying to recruit to play checkers :)
it seems like a good resource.
Amateur Checkerist, Professional Lover of the Game
Danny_Alvarez

Postby George Hay on Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:07 pm

Tjalling Goedmoed's A Course in Draughts in Three Parts is full of interesting instruction on 10x10 draughts. IMHO, some beginner stuff like opening traps and endings he goes over too fast, assuming a certain knowledge of 10x10. However, there is a massive amount of instruction and practice problems, along with good general advice. In Part One, Chapters 35. The Main Diagonal, 36. Trictrac Lines, and 37. Quadrants, it reminds me of Derick Oldbury's A through G Lines in Move Over. That is found on the ACF website by going Home>Classroom>Strategies> Oldbury, Derick. Checker Strategies.
Or use this link: http://www.usacheckers.com/excerpt-oldbury.php --George Hay

P.S. "Beware of danger at the spot marked X in diagram 3!" The X is on Square 11 in the original Move Over, but does not show up on diagram 3 of the ACF article.
George Hay

Postby Danny_Alvarez on Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:45 pm

I have been playing a little 10x10 international draughts in playok and .... this little course has helped me a bit...
my main stumbling block is the compulsory jump for the greater number of pieces rule.... if you can jump 2 men and 1 men , you must take the 2 men , there is no other option.
but thanks to a little tactics here i made a six-man jump.... and let me tell you, it was a rush that i hadn't felt with no checkers shot for a long time...
(my opponent was lowly rated as i am LOL but it still felt good :) )
http://www.playok.com/en/game.phtml/644 ... d=cp&app=1

might have to start practicing this a bit more so if i ever win the lotto and visit my central american or dutch friends i can win or draw at least a couple of games...
cheers
Danny
Danny_Alvarez

Postby Danny_Alvarez on Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:27 pm

After jumping into 10x10 head first (only way to learn to swim according to my grandpa, who wasn't the greatest swimming coach i have known but was wise beyond his years)..... i have discovered a few little traps to avoid....

the benefit for me is the enormity of the board and the sheer number of pieces coupled with different rules have made me slow right down and im hoping to bring this back across to checkers :)

cheers
Danny
Danny_Alvarez

Postby George Hay on Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:58 pm

Tjalling Goedemoed has written a Pre-Course In Draughts:
Aimed at beginners of the international 10x10 game of draughts
This must be a "prequel" to his A Course in Draughts parts 1, 2, & 3.
I now take back my earlier criticism as the pre-course covers the basics quite well.
The 10x10 e-books are available from the FMJD promo page.
--George Hay

http://fmjd.org/?p=promo
George Hay

Postby Danny_Alvarez on Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:57 pm

great link George :) .... couldn't we do something like this for our game? or for those that want to go to schools, so they have something to follow?????

just an idea
Danny_Alvarez

Postby George Hay on Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:31 am

Danny, good point! I think we are slowly but surely getting there. I just want to point out the FMJD web site also has an excellent article on (Anglo-American) Checkers written by John Reade.
--George Hay

http://fmjd.org/variant.php?p=check
George Hay

Postby George Hay on Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:38 pm

Tjalling Goedmoed has a new online book on 10x10 International Checkers, The Art Of Winning.
The Endgame Chapter, page 17, features a problem by "A. Moiseyev & T. Goedmoed" with the explanation:

After having been published in draughts magazine De Problemist, it turned out that this endgame,
with a piece on <8> instead of the white king on <12>, was already discovered by Moiseyev in 2008.

http://fmjd.org/promo/taow.php
George Hay

Return to General Discussion