SIXTH statistics.

General Discussion about the game of Checkers.

SIXTH statistics.

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:57 am

Now, when book preparation gets into the final stage :lol: , I am ready to provide some book statistics here. Number of all lines and variations is far ahead of 1000, but I can't calculate them exactly. The total number of pages in the book still could vary - due to the final "book bulding", compressing materials and nicely locating them.

114 games annotated; :!:

64 openings covered (actually it has to be more than 100 - due to transpositions); :!:

505 diagrams; :!:

350 pages (approximately); :!:

Book has references to more than 500 games. :!:

Just remind you ==> as of today book can be ordered in three ways - send check directly to my house, pay through ACF STORE or using Dr. Reade assistance.

Alex
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

SIXTH: cooks - 60

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:57 am

Today I had finished preparation of the third cover of book (opposite to the back cover). This page will contains Appendix C- Points to Remember. I had significant difficulties :roll: to comeup with 30 diagrams only (limited by book size). My first selection had more than 60 diagrams - all levels cooks and new ways to go. After cutting everything twice, I left only 30 of them - all expert and medium level cooks, some giving me important victories, other - never played.

There are two Marion Tinsley cooks in the book, which I recovered from grave. There were rumors and memorables from Richard Fortman - that in some openings Marion told him - he has a cook, but never shared. I beleive - I find couple of them. One I used against Wyllie, second one ... well it was an interesting mystery with it and you can find this, if read book !

Regards,

Alex
Alex_Moiseyev

Re: SIXTH statistics.

Postby matthewkooshad on Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:36 pm

Alex, have you ever sold vacuum cleaners before?
matthewkooshad

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:09 pm

Hi, Matthew !

Nope, I never tried to sale a vacuum cleaner. I am not a good salesman and this book is my first experience. But I understand ironical accent :lol: in your question. The deal is - people don't buy book in forum, they only read information here and later send check to me, Dr. Reade or pay through ACF STORE.

You also shouldn't be confuse with number of message readers. These are real readers and they don't need to look at message again and again. Statistic of forum shows clearly - there are about 30-35 members of forum who reads each post at least once. I had this number in other sessions - GAMES & POSITIONS & OPENINGS.

Any controversal single message accumulate usually 60-100 hits, because people read it more then once - this is human nature :twisted:

My book was written for people who love checkers and want to imrove, who enjoy reading books. Because we operate with relatively small number of checkers players in the World - less than 1000, my salesman skills and experience are not so important and critical.

For me this book is important - not because of financial deal, but I feel responsibility as Champion giving people and checkers feedback. Also - this book promotes any players at any level, who reads it - and this is another my responsibility. Everyone does whatever he/she can do best. Perhaps the best thing I am doing - ability to play checkers, and this book - my way for promotion. In this book I am talking about subject I am very well familiar - how to play checkers :lol:

Regards,

Alex
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby matthewkooshad on Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:36 pm

It is going to be a great book; I knew this before ever hearing any stats about the book.

A friend other day was telling me we should go see a movie named Munich. I asked him what it was about as I hadn't got to watch much tv at all during the semester. He said it's by Spielberg. I said, cool, what's it about. He said it's by Spielberg and asked me if I had ever seen a bad movie by him.

I know you haven't put forth a book from what you said, but I know from your status in checkers that it will be excellent material Image. Keep up the great work.
matthewkooshad

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:14 pm

Hi, Matthew ! I didn't have a chance to see this movie yet, but me and my wife plan to do this in the nearest feature.

==================================================================

Regards SIXTH, for everyone who concerns ...

Book preparation goes smoothly and yet - no serious delays on horizon ! I still optimistically beleive that book should get out of printer at the end of February - beginning of March.

Finally, Karl Albreht joined with SIXTH team to help me with English editing of the third part of book (Selected games). I don't think this man needs any presentation on this forum ! :lol:

Yesterday I had receive from John Acker first finished part of book - match Moiseyev vs Lowder. What a job ! Ryan Pronk, Ingo Zachos and Karl ALbreht work hard to meet deadline - end of January. Dennis Pawlek earlier carefully reviewed the whole contest and didn't find anything for correction.

I am very busy formatting text and editing moves / lines typos and diagrams appearance.

Publisher works on design issues.

Everything is in progress and gets very close to the end. Thanks everyone who decided to help me and checkers to get this book done and make it available to readers for enjoyment.

Respectfully,

Alex Moiseyev

============================================================

This is my first book, and due to zero experience - I missed several important steps, which delayed finishing the book for almost two years ! Today, when I know much more about this process :twisted: - I have no clue If I ever do this again. It takes hundred and thousand hours of work, and this make sense only in one case - if people really want it and need it.

So far SIXTH sale goes OK. Remember - the total number of books is limited and book is not re-printed. If you wait until last moment - you can miss it !
Alex_Moiseyev

Where is my house ?

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:12 pm

Today finally bank approved $5000 loan which I asked in order to cover my SIXTH expanses. This is certainly good news, which guarantee us that SIXTH will be printed and delivered with no delays. Not so good news are :roll: - this loan is not 100% completely "unsecured", and bank partially linked it to the equity of my house.

So ... If I can't pay this loan timely in full, checkerdome will be a house for me and my family :lol: If you buy the book SIXTH now with "pre-pay" option - you can reduce chances of such interesting scenario !

===================================================================

BTW. Most part of book English editing completed, and book now is on stage of "final compilation".

Regards,

Alex
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby matthewkooshad on Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:26 pm

Best of luck with your house, Alex. Are you an artist or a programmer? hehe
matthewkooshad

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:39 pm

matthewkooshad wrote:Are you an artist or a programmer?

It was a real true story ... One very well known math professor (unfortunately I don't remember the name, bad memory) had a student, who quit math and became a poet. When someone asked professor about this student, professor replied: "He didn't have enough imagination to be a good mathematician !"

Alex
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:29 am

Hello, everyone !

It seems it is a right time now to update a SIXTH status. As I said earlier - English editing for all three major parts was completed at the end of February. .PDF files for the first two parts of book are ready. Today all team efforts are targeted on verification process - diagrams, notes / comments matching, extra pages etc.

At the very end of writing book I decided finally to include several interesting documents related to the 3-moves title controversay 2001-2003. Hope this will be interesting and attract readers.

In addition I included my autobiography and wrote chapters review. Every single word or letter which I write on English needs an editing :twisted: :evil: :evil: and this is the only reason why it took so long.

For the time now my publsiher is discussing and schedule with typography the date when book will be printed. As soon as I have more information on this - I will let you know.

Many thanks to Richard Beckwith who also joined couple weeks ago with SIXTH team. His help is significant and tremendous.

Nick McBride (2 copies) and Lisle Cormier (1 copy) were the latest buyers of bonus personalize edition of book. Thanks guys, and also thanks everyone who already pre-paid. Your support is very helpful and welcome. If some of you think about a possibility to buy a numbered personalize copy of book (only 40 available) - it will be better and smart thing to order your purchase now. Trust me :lol:

Regards,

Alex
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:14 am

SIXTH printing preliminary scheduled by the end of April, week 24-28.

Alex
Alex_Moiseyev

Return to General Discussion