Arnold Cook passed away.

General Discussion about the game of Checkers.

Arnold Cook passed away.

Postby bugs on Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:45 pm

A dear friend and checker player has just passed away... Arnold Cook passed away at about 12:20 today.. Christmas Eve.
No arrangements as of yet, but Sue said they will wait untill after Christmas day to do that... Me, or someone will post that informatio ASAP...
bugs

Re: Arnold Cook passed away.

Postby Jay H on Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:05 pm

bugs wrote:A dear friend and checker player has just passed away... Arnold Cook passed away at about 12:20 today.. Christmas Eve.
No arrangements as of yet, but Sue said they will wait untill after Christmas day to do that... Me, or someone will post that informatio ASAP...

:(

My condolences to his family.
RIP.....
Aut Inveniam Viam Aut Faciam !!!
Jay H

Postby Irma Sierra on Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:42 pm

We will miss you Arnold!!!! Thanks for the games we shared!!

just lady.......
Irma Sierra

Postby kiwinurse on Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:00 am

So sorry to hear of Mr Cooks death,we had many games over the years in Kurnick also.He was a fine player and fine man,regards Jan Mortimer
kiwinurse

Postby Lindus Edwards on Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:36 pm

Very sad news indeed. Arnold was a fine player and a very nice gentleman. My deepest sympathy to his family.
Lindus Edwards

Postby Palomino on Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:53 am

I was saddened to learn of Arnold's death. I will certainly miss him.

Here is the obituary from the funeral home.

ARNOLD COOK

Mr. Arnold Cook, 76, of Woodbury died December 24, 2009 in McMinnville, TN. He was born January 9, 1933 in Woodbury, TN. His parents were the late Palmer J. Cook and Ira (Elkins) Cook.

He is survived by a brother, P.J. (Mary Jean) Cook of Woodbury; four sisters, Wilma (Edmond) Prater of Clarksville; Louise Lovvon of McMinnville; Sue Redmon of McMinnville and Sherrie Faye (R.C.) Kee of Summerville, TN.

Mr. Cook lived in Woodbury 75 years and about the last year in McMinnville. He was a member of the Church of Christ and attended the Unity Church of Christ. He was a minister for over 50 years. He was elected to serve as Cannon County Trustee in years past. He also owned and operated a furniture store until his retirement.

Visitation will be Saturday, Dec. 26, 2009 from 2-8 PM. Funeral services will be Sunday, Dec. 27, 2009 at 2PM in the Smith Funeral Home chapel. Al Bugg, Roger Hamlet and Dorris Hughes will officiate. Interment will be in Riverside Cemetery. Smith Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements. (615)563-5337.

Condolences may be sent via http://www.smithfuneralhomewoodbury.net on the guestbook page.

http://www.smithfuneralhomewoodbury.net/8455.html
CHECKERS: The Mind Sport of Kings and Ordinary Men.
Palomino

Postby tommyc on Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:43 pm

Sorry to hear abt the passing of Arnold such a great Mail player in times gone bye,what a lovely photo with Irma R.I.P.
Always read "Cannings Compilation 2nd Edition" every day.
tommyc

Postby Irma Sierra on Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:25 am

Thank you Tommy
just lady.......
Irma Sierra

Postby Eric Strange on Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:49 pm

I have played many games with Arnold over the years in Kurnik and am very saddened by his death. I was told by his nurse a couple months ago that he was having much trouble moving the pieces and I was in the process of making a software program so he would be able to move the pieces on kurnik by talking into a microphone. He will be sure to give Marion Tinsley a run for his money in heaven. May he rest in peace.

My regards to his family,

Eric Strange
Eric Strange

Return to General Discussion