Pro checkers game

General Discussion about the game of Checkers.

Moderators: Alan Millhone, rich beckwith

Re: Pro checkers game

Postby Patrick Parker on Thu May 10, 2007 6:54 pm

Last edited by Patrick Parker on Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Patrick Parker

Postby liam stephens on Thu May 10, 2007 7:14 pm

Pawn to Queen's Rook Four.
liam stephens

Postby m stewart on Fri May 11, 2007 6:28 am

Hey I know that too P-k4 or e4!!!
I will run the Pro checkers idea past some game companys.
My dream is to become a checker master or as they say in England
a draughts master!!! :oops:
m stewart

Postby Ingo_Zachos on Fri May 11, 2007 6:46 am

Concerning the Notation:

In chess, algebraic notation is wide-spread, but other have been extensively used.
Liam gave an example of descriptive notation, and in the leading magazine, Informant, they use figurine notation.
In correspondence chess when I played it we still used snail mail and the numeric notation, sometimes also callled "Code Udeman".

But as I found out, in checkers there is also no common standard notation!! : Oldbury used his own diagonal notation, and in the older days red was on squares 1 to 12 , but sometimes also white, depeding on which site the annotator was "sitting" (at that time it was not common that red was the first player, sometimes both playes played on 1 to 12, so 1. 11-15 22-18 read : 1. 11-15 11-15) , also today there is no clear standard (note: pdn is standard among programmers !) in the books.
Some have the number of the moves, some count each ply as move, some use ":" to mark a capture, others "x", others even use the "-" also for captures.... Kear's even used a "-" only for red, but just a " " (empty space) for white moves and captures!

Some write the moves in columns with one red and white move in one column, others white below red moves, some give the annnotations above , others as Basis Checkers, right in the main line.

I don't see any need to switch to algebraic notation.
I would use numbers on the board for three reasons:

1. It looks more like a professional item if it has "the alphabeth of the expert players" on it,

2. It encourages some players to solve the "riddle" of these numbers, and in this way they get acquainted with checker literature and may even try to master those numbers and read checker books!

3. It is the standard used so far in checkers. It will cause confusion and disappointment once a player tries to read a checker book or a pdn game and the board does not assist this attept, but fails to provide the numbers of the squares!

As a chess player I found it hard to read algebraic notation, as the pieces "moved like crazy" around the board, as in chess a move like
1. c3-d4 looks very silly...
How can a pawn move diagonally ?

This was also the problem when I showed some postions to chess players, and they tried to give their solutions in algebraic notation.
In chess, you get use to think of the moves as they r made by the pieces, so 1.Nb1-c3 or 1. e2-e4 look sensible, but 1. c3-d4 looks like a misprint to a chessplayer.

Once I tried it with numbered board (last two weeks), they found it easier to name the right move, so I guess numbered boards r to be preferred, even or maybe rather for chess players...

Greetinx from rainy Dortmund, Germany

Ingo Zachos
You can rent this space for advertising, if you like!
Ingo_Zachos

Postby whitefork on Fri May 11, 2007 8:17 am

I've never understood why the Russians use algebraic for 8x8 and numeric for 10x10.

John, I seem to recall from my translation that Petrov's book used numeric notation. After that the Russians seem to have gone to algebraic.

As far as I know algebraic notation in chess has existed since the early 1800s.
Пилите, Шура, пилите!
whitefork

Postby tommyc on Fri May 11, 2007 8:49 pm

Thanks for that Ingo, I have been knocking my head against the wall for so long now to get numbered boards made mainstream but the old T-Rex hard liners (including Alex M.) are totally against.

As you have said this helps the interested player, two things .1/ They can follow the book moves easily and it gives them something to hold onto and some sense of direction and they can write down the games quite easily. 2/ The board goes from being an endless desert to like a road map where the player can actually plot his/her course and remember it.

Numbered boards are a MUST.

As i see it in my frustration, draughts will never be inviting to the masses on a high level b/c they are frustrated at the point of entry,and the old school expect any newcomer/interested party to slog the hard road as THEY had to. In other words WE they checker fraternity make it MORE difficult to progress, and eventually they just give up.

The question is where do we go from here?.Does anyone know.
Always read "Cannings Compilation 2nd Edition" every day.
tommyc

checkers

Postby kiwinurse on Sat May 12, 2007 3:37 am

Why is it theres so much opposition to playing with numbered boards. Is it snobbery, or is there a reason?
kiwinurse

Postby Bob Murr on Sat May 12, 2007 7:59 am

Hi Jan, I don't think it is snobbery, some players find playing with a numbered board to be somewhat distracting and I have heard others use the analogy that it is like riding a bicycle with training wheels when they no longer need the training wheels. A numbered board is a wonderful study aid and a valuable tool for anyone wanting to learn the game.

It certainly reduces typos when recording games.
Bob Murr
Bob Murr

Postby Palomino on Sat May 12, 2007 3:15 pm

If we could pitch a new checker game called Pro Checkers
that would come with 3 move cards and a numbered board and red and
white plastic pieces.

I think it would be a Tuff Sell but I like it.

Maybe Alex will endorse it, it could have his picture on the box with his bio.

WENDY HAMPTON had an idea for a game, look where she's taken it.

http://www.everydayedisons.com/wendy.html
http://www.everydayedisons.com/default.html
http://www.everydayedisons.com/resources.html

Regards, "Pal" Bucker

P.S.
Bob Murr Wrote:
some players find playing with a numbered board to be somewhat distracting and I have heard others use the analogy that it is like riding a bicycle with training wheels when they no longer need the training wheels.

Hi Bob,
My friend, I agree with you 100 percent, what you said is very true and I understand you are only giving explanation to Jan. but getting back to the question of including a numbered board with PRO CHECKERS. I think it would be the only way to go!!! The Target Consumer would be a novice player at best and a total beginner to 3-move style and they would need training wheels.

tommyc Wrote:
I have been knocking my head against the wall for so long now to get numbered boards made mainstream
tommyc wrote: (Sun Apr 30, 2006)
....always seems we lose a lot of players, especially middle rank players. ..... What are we doing to help ourselves? ...... I propose we start the use of numbered boards in conjunction with the notation of games....this will lead to structure in learning the game and encourage new and inexperienced players to "talk" the language of draughts/checkers through numbers.

I totally agree with you Tommy
Last edited by Palomino on Sat May 12, 2007 9:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
CHECKERS: The Mind Sport of Kings and Ordinary Men.
Palomino

Postby m stewart on Sat May 12, 2007 8:01 pm

Having Alex on the box would be good, Tom Wiswell,the GAYP Champion did that in the 60s. Wouldnt it be nice to have a vinyl roll up board with checker notation instead of algebraic!!!! You know if the Pro checkers came with a simple primer by Alex that would be good too. :lol:
m stewart

Postby Palomino on Sat May 12, 2007 8:40 pm

checker notation instead of algebraic

My thoughts on that are....
...................... PRO CHECKERS BOARD......................
What else would you call it?

I'm not sure that the same can be said of this board!
I could use this board to play checkers but I wouldn't call it a PRO CHECKERS board.
What do you think?

Regards, "Pal" Bucker
Palomino

Postby m stewart on Sat May 12, 2007 10:06 pm

I like your Pro Checkers board alot. But not the algebraic board. Of course the algebraic chess board is different from yours shown. One thing to add would be the ACF membership form.in the box. :o
m stewart

Postby Palomino on Sat May 12, 2007 11:21 pm

I don't like it. To me, it doesn't say PRO CHECKERS.

"Pal"
Palomino

Postby tommyc on Sun May 13, 2007 7:41 am

One little alteration to the board shown Palimino would be smaller numbers and NOT in the centre where the piece would cover it,but in the corners of the square.
Always read "Cannings Compilation 2nd Edition" every day.
tommyc

Postby m stewart on Sun May 13, 2007 8:04 am

PAL, I LIKE YOUR PRO CHECKERS BOARD,WE JUST MAY HAVE SOMETHING HERE. :o
m stewart

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion